• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where to get a Senegal Parrot (and some ?’s)?

BluFeather

Moving in
I’ve been doing some research and I think a Senegal parrot and I have a few questions (I’m years from getting one so this is more curiosity) :)

Where can I adopt or purchase (from a breeder) a Sennie somewhere around the East coast of the USA? I’m willing to travel but ideally it’s closer to NY state/in a neighboring state.

What’s an ideal enclosure size? I’m thinking I want to get https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Wrought-Cockatiel-Cockatoo-Parakeet/dp/B079JW8YCQ or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00176F5L0?ots=1&ascsubtag=[]st[p]cjy8u6iag00b0l8ye1hm3midmmZqNJM2[t]w[d]T[z]m&tag=thestrategistsite-20&th=1

Can anyone give me diet details? I know they need mainly pellets and fresh fruit, but what ratio and what are suggested pellet brands? Would it be good to give chop daily and whole/larger cut fruit, veg, and seeds as treats?

Would a Senegal be a good parrot for interactions with others (be it seeing a lot of other people on occasion or others giving them treats)? If not, what are other similar species to consider?

I’ve read Sennies are good for people with allergies-is this true?

thank you :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Hello! There are a lot of senegal sellers across the eastern US, here are a few!
- Lil' Wings Aviary (CT)
- M&D Bird World (DE)
- Feather Heads Aviary (FL)
- The Golden Cockatoo (FL)
- Just4Birds (FL)
- Rhonda's Aviary (FL)
- Species Survival (FL)
- The Aviary At Cauley Square (FL)
- Gods Creation Aviary (GA)
- Big Birds Aviary (GA)
- CNC Aviary (NC)
- Wacky Wings Aviary (NC)
- Bird Supply of New Hampshire (NH)
- Birds by Joe (NJ)
- Fancy Feathers Exotic Birds (NJ)
- Todd Marcus Exotic Birds (NJ)
- World of Birds (NJ)
- Exotic Pet Birds (NY)
- Glory Birds (NY)
- Bird Mania (PA)
- Cindy's Parrot Place (VA)
- Piedmont Parrots (VA)
- TC Feathers (VA)

Keep in mind that all of these guys aren't flawless, best check out their sites to see if they match your personal preferences. Personally I really suggest The African Queen (mentioned above), she's one of the best poicephalus breeders out in the US.