• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where to find a timneh?

Schmendrick

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello!
I was hoping that someone could suggest a few good breeders for Timneh Greys in or around Georgia?
Is there a time of year that is ideal to begin searching for a Grey?

I've been researching parrots (particularly the longer lived varieties) and I feel that a Timneh sounds like a good match for me. I used to have a little cockatiel, Sherlock, so I have some experience with parrots, but not much with the larger birds. Could anyone give me some tips/tricks/warnings?

I'm new here, so I apologize in advance if this post is in the wrong place, or if I overlook a piece of site etiquette!
Thank you!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Timnehs are great birds. Just ask Grayson here...

IMG_20190428_195712.jpg

Have you considered rescues? There's a lot out there looking for homes. They bond quite well, require out time and together time. Good size cage, and endless supply of toys. And you'll have a happy grey. Patience is the key. Never rush them.

Schmendrick

Checking out the neighborhood
Aw, Grayson is such a cutie!

I have looked into adoption, but the only shelter near me mostly has cockatoos, which, while all those cuddles sound delightful, I think a cockatoo might be a bit to much bird for me.
Also, I know it's a bit selfish, but one reason I'm interested in a larger parrot is their long lifespan. I'm looking for a lifelong companion, so the longer they'll potentially be with me the better!
Plus, part of the adoption centers contract allows them to essentially confiscate the bird at anytime, and while I know this is simply in place to allow them to save the bird from a bad home if the need arises, the idea of giving someone permission to take away a part of my family terrifies me!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Timneh African greys are becoming quite difficult to find. You could check with Jean Pattison: African Queen Aviaries . She is extremely knowledgeable and well respected.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Aw, Grayson is such a cutie!

I have looked into adoption, but the only shelter near me mostly has cockatoos, which, while all those cuddles sound delightful, I think a cockatoo might be a bit to much bird for me.
Also, I know it's a bit selfish, but one reason I'm interested in a larger parrot is their long lifespan. I'm looking for a lifelong companion, so the longer they'll potentially be with me the better!
Plus, part of the adoption centers contract allows them to essentially confiscate the bird at anytime, and while I know this is simply in place to allow them to save the bird from a bad home if the need arises, the idea of giving someone permission to take away a part of my family terrifies me!

I am part of rescue and adoption of parrots in michigan. I'm not sure about other states. But yes even we can confiscate a bird based on the adoption contract. In the many many rescues that were rehomed, I've only had to confiscate one bird while doing a home inspection. And that was because the bird was injured and they couldn't take to vet. A separate incident required police action and rescuing a too. But generally the contracts are 6 months after that we won't check, but follow up with email. Our contract also states under any circumstances if the bird is to be rehomed or they can't handle bird for what ever reason it's to contact us, not Craig's list or whatever.
I've scaled back some on my rescues, and then the majority of it over to others, but remain open to over flows and emergencies.
Don't be scared of contracts they are drawn up basically to weed out impulse buyers, and assure people they will care for their bird. If you do take care of your bird and have a verified vet ( which is also in our contracts) then you have nothing to worry about!
:coolparrot:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Timneh African greys are becoming quite difficult to find. You could check with Jean Pattison: African Queen Aviaries . She is extremely knowledgeable and well respected.
Hi Matt, jean is very respected among good quality avian stores. Here in michigan my former vet, and avian store owner with lovely staff, would get his greys from jean in florida.
Matter of fact Grayson is one of 3 that went to mark ( former vet & owner of store) from jean. Grayson was just weaned when I got him 8 years ago. He's very good quality, and I would recommend jean to anyone. Yes her birds are up there in price, but they are worth every penny.
However you are right, last year and this year, now that you mentioned it, I haven't seen any here in michigan for sale. Matter of fact haven't seen any rescues of tags either in a couple years.