• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where to buy legit young birds/eggs

BiancaM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bianca
Hi! I’ve been researching fertile/hatching parrot eggs and I can’t seem to find any breeders that are local that sell them. I know that buying them online and getting them shipped is almost always a scam so that’s off the table. I live in the Florida panhandle and I would be able to drive to Georgia/Alabama/North Carolina/Orlando Tampa area to purchase fertile hatching eggs or young parrots. Does anyone know of any reliable breeders who sell hatching eggs in these states/areas? I am not quite strict on the breed but I would prefer an African gray, Eclectus, or Amazon breeder. Thank you in advance!

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Just make suire you're dealing w/ a reputable breeder/ supplier-- when I lived in Las Vegas, we had a 'breeder' who had numerous Rose Breasted baby Cockatoos for sale-- later found to be smuggled eggs from Australia... be careful...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Bianca :)

Maybe members here could help you find a baby bird instead? It might be easier to find a young bird rather than an egg.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Reputable breeders will not sell fertile parrot eggs, because parrot chicks require specialized care and feeding that is beyond the average person. It is not like hatching a chicken or duck egg. It would be extremely irresponsible to sell parrot eggs to a first-time owner, since parrot chicks require around-the-clock hand-feeding and specialized veterinary care. And that is assuming the egg was still viable after transport.

Long story short, if you are looking for a baby parrot, you would be better off seeking out a good breeder who will get you an older chick that is already weaned. Or even better, look into local parrot rescues for older birds. Baby parrots are great, but meeting older parrots at a rescue will give you a much better idea of what you are getting into. There are hundreds of stories on this website about sweet, cuddly baby parrots who changed behavior over night when they reached "puberty". Hormones are powerful things.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
i would not buy any parrot egg online. is there any reason you would rather buy an egg than a weaned baby? as said before, hatching and raising a parrot is very different that raising a chicken or duck.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
You should probably also pin down exactly what you want before pursuing getting a bird. They aren't breeds like dogs - they are entirely different species, and there's a whole world of difference between african greys, eclectus, and amazons.
More research is recommended. This isn't some whimsical decision to make because it sounds nifty. It's a potentially lifelong commitment involving an extremely needy, loud, destructive, intelligent, wild animal.

BiancaM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bianca
i would not buy any parrot egg online. is there any reason you would rather buy an egg than a weaned baby? as said before, hatching and raising a parrot is very different that raising a chicken or duck.
I was looking to buy eggs so I could better bond with the young bird and raise it. I know my father has raised baby parrots before and knows how to feed them so I was thinking that it might be better just to incubate an egg and hatch it and raise it. I’ve looked into rescues but I can’t seem to find any around me.

BiancaM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bianca
Reputable breeders will not sell fertile parrot eggs, because parrot chicks require specialized care and feeding that is beyond the average person. It is not like hatching a chicken or duck egg. It would be extremely irresponsible to sell parrot eggs to a first-time owner, since parrot chicks require around-the-clock hand-feeding and specialized veterinary care. And that is assuming the egg was still viable after transport.

Long story short, if you are looking for a baby parrot, you would be better off seeking out a good breeder who will get you an older chick that is already weaned. Or even better, look into local parrot rescues for older birds. Baby parrots are great, but meeting older parrots at a rescue will give you a much better idea of what you are getting into. There are hundreds of stories on this website about sweet, cuddly baby parrots who changed behavior over night when they reached "puberty". Hormones are powerful things.
I have looked into parrot rescues but they’re all near Orlando and south Florida which is quite far, since I live in a small town there’s not many rescues near me.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure the bonding will work out like you hope. From what I've seen on this board, the bird'll think of you as a parent, & later reject you when it seeks a mate.

@saroj12 has many birds. @Hankmacaw & @JLcribber seem to really understand the parrot psyche. Maybe they'll have more insight. I'm just reporting what I've read here & have newish budgies.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Handfeeding a baby won't guarantee that a bird will love you. Upon reaching puberty, a young parrot will seek to leave its parents and form its own relationships. In captive parrots, this often looks like the young parrot rejecting the person who fed them and choosing another member of the household.

Please read this thread

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Handfeeding a baby won't guarantee that a bird will love you. Upon reaching puberty, a young parrot will seek to leave its parents and form its own relationships. In captive parrots, this often looks like the young parrot rejecting the person who fed them and choosing another member of the household.

Please read this thread
GREAT thread referral-- I spent a long time reading on that one! Issues I'd never thought about!