• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where the babies should live

claykroh

Moving in
My caiques recently had three babies. They're doing well, and they all live in a pretty large cage for the moment. The babies are about two months old now, so they're fledging and starting to eat food. They're also getting bigger, and though the cage is large, I'm thinking it probably is going to be a bit snug for them once they're weaned and living like grownup caiques.

So, I've been exploring new housing arrangements, and my question is: Should I go for a significantly larger cage for all of them, or is it better to go with a second cage to house the younger birds separate from the parents?

Here's a peek at all five and their current cage:
IMG_1356.jpg

Thanks for your advice!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you are keeping them all, I would get them a cage each. Once the birds sexually mature they may end up bickering or fighting.

If you are going to be selling/rehoming the little ones, then one large cage for the youngsters to share would be ok :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oops, forgot to add the tag on my post for @Laurie

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have 8 of these little bugg...oops angels, and it can be a handful to manage a group. They generally will sleep together without issues, they love crowding to sleep in tight spaces.

BUT......

I wouldnt put 4 of them in the same cage on a daily basis, and my flights are HUUUUGE

4 caiques need 8 food dishes, just to stop the bickering over food. Any small argument can quickly escalate if there's no space to escape to

But for now, its not an issue. The babies are so young the parents are only now weaning them off regular feeding

Part of that weaning process is KICKING THEM OUT , so the hen can lay again. She wont tolerate juniors bouncing off her nestbox walls while she's on eggs.

Id keep a close eye on levels of aggression, and start planning a separate large roomy cage for those very energetic babies

claykroh

Moving in
@Irishj9 may I ask what flights/cages you use? I'm shopping around, and I'd like to get as large a living space for them as I can. Any recommendations you might have would be amazing!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
And yes, the correct number of caique food bowls required is calculated using the formula N+1, where N is the number of food bowls you currently have in the house, which you have collected over the last 25 years.

And don't forget a professional grade spirit level, even better a laser activated one. You need this to stop world war 3, which will begin if a bird finds a space on any perch which is .000001% higher than any other place on any other perch.

The ( daily, LOUD, repeated) fight for that uniquely desirable square inch of real estate will make the Gulf war look like a child's tea party

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
@Irishj9 may I ask what flights/cages you use? I'm shopping around, and I'd like to get as large a living space for them as I can. Any recommendations you might have would be amazing!
I cant find a pic online now. Ill take a couple for you tomorrow in the light. I have a half dozen specially built cages, sitting in a converted garage. The garage is bird proofed as an aviary with an open plexiglass roof

Each cage is 6ft tall off the ground and about 4 feet square. These birds are very active climbers
A very large boot shaped wooden nest box is attached to the cage exterior with a small opening cut in the bars so the birds can enter to sleep

The birds use the cages as sleeping space, or a time out when they've been naughty ( often!)
flight.jpg

claykroh

Moving in
OMG I LOVE this set up you describe! I can't wait to see pictures. This is now a life goal for me :D.

I cant find a pic online now. Ill take a couple for you tomorrow in the light. I have a half dozen specially built cages, sitting in a converted garage. The garage is bird proofed as an aviary with an open plexiglass roof

Each cage is 6ft tall off the ground and about 4 feet square. These birds are very active climbers
A very large boot shaped wooden nest box is attached to the cage exterior with a small opening cut in the bars so the birds can enter to sleep

The birds use the cages as sleeping space, or a time out when they've been naughty ( often!)
View attachment 392608

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And yes, the correct number of caique food bowls required is calculated using the formula N+1, where N is the number of food bowls you currently have in the house, which you have collected over the last 25 years.

And don't forget a professional grade spirit level, even better a laser activated one. You need this to stop world war 3, which will begin if a bird finds a space on any perch which is .000001% higher than any other place on any other perch.

The ( daily, LOUD, repeated) fight for that uniquely desirable square inch of real estate will make the Gulf war look like a child's tea party
And here I thought I might like a Caique some day :laughin:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
And here I thought I might like a Caique some day :laughin: [/QUOTE said:
Well you know all the good parts, the happy hopping little finger wrestling bundles of mischief. This is also all 100% true.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
And babies generally get on well with their parents, well into later life. Fingers gets on great with both his daughters. Momma will not tolerate either of them near her nestbox, except for a quick flypast visit.

I once prepared an Excel spreadsheet to calculate which pairs could be left alone together in an enclosed space.

I have 8 birds and I'm a chartered Accountant. I still never got it quite right

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Heres the indoor cage I use. Its kept in the front room and usually only Cha_Cha and her mate Fingers are in residence. Today the baby Nik Nak is sharing but only because he slept there. They all love this cage because its kept beside the big glass sliding door. They see all the humans moving about and also get to review activity in the garden.

Its being cleaned today which is why its not full of climbing branches.. Its covered with a blanket at night so they get proper sleep. That blanket is still on top

indoorcage.jpg

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
The nestbox. 25cm square and 50cm deep

nestbox.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
@Irishj9 your birds always look so magnificent. Are you just lucky or do you refuse to take pictures when they are scruffy looking.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
@Irishj9 your birds always look so magnificent. Are you just lucky or do you refuse to take pictures when they are scruffy looking.
LOL they're rarely scruffy except when they're molting. Which is now.

But they're water loving birds from the rainforest. No dusty feathers. They preen those waterproof feathers to a bright shine