• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where should I purchase a GCC from?

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
So, after months of research I’ve decided to get a green cheek conure. I know I’m capable of caring. For one as I usually have nothing to do during the day, so I can easily devote 4-6 hours to the bird daily, my biggest dilemma is where to purchase the bird. I have contacted a breeder who sells seemingly healthy babies, which come with a DNA certificate and a leg band and all that (conflicted on the leg bad as I’ve heard they can harm the bird), but I’ve also Been in contact with someone who is selling their 15 week old Conure who they bought from a breeder, they are selling it because they didn’t realise how much time they needed to devote to the bird. So basically what I’m asking is are birds who’ve been rehomed harder to bond with? Would it be better to just purchase one from the breeder?

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
I'd go for the older one because most people would go for the breeder due to less age and so those birds will most likely get a home but that can't be said surely for the older conure. Just my opinion :)

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
15 weeks isn’t even old! Not even 4 months! I personally would take the rehome baby unless I had reason to be concerned, like if the seller seems sketchy. And I’d get baby to the vet asap for a first checkup, especially if it was around other birds while in its temporary home. Best of luck!

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I agree with the others, I would give the 15 week rehome a chance if you're interested in it. I definitely support adopting or getting rehomed birds when possible!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
People do not normally sell a baby bird they just bought. Something is not right with this. I respectfuly suggest you do your homework and look around for adopting a bird that needs a home and buy a bird anywhere.

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
People do not normally sell a baby bird they just bought. Something is not right with this. I respectfuly suggest you do your homework and look around for adopting a bird that needs a home and buy a bird anywhere.
They said they’ve had the bird for 3 weeks, and are selling it because they didn’t realise how much time they needed to properly train the bird. In the pictures the bird does seem healthy, should I send them here?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They said they’ve had the bird for 3 weeks, and are selling it because they didn’t realise how much time they needed to properly train the bird. In the pictures the bird does seem healthy, should I send them here?
Are you open to adoption of a GCC? Plus are you prepared to handle a GCC baby that must be tamed to you and your home?

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Are you open to adoption of a GCC? Plus are you prepared to handle a GCC baby that must be tamed to you and your home?
I’ve tried looking for places to adopt birds near me, but couldn’t find any. And yes, I am as prepared as I can be for a baby GCC.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Yes, please forward the pictures! How far away are the people located? [ie-- not an internet 'forward the money and they'll mail the bird' thing? ]

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Yes, please forward the pictures! How far away are the people located? [ie-- not an internet 'forward the money and they'll mail the bird' thing? ]
I’ve decided to buy one of the birds from the breeder. They’re 2 hours away, so it’s a bit of a drive.

Attachments

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:swoon: