• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where my linnie folks at? :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now that I'm a Linnie momma I'd love to hear some of yalls experiences with them. I've read the old posts but I'd love some current chats about them.
I've only had my little guy since Sunday he was completely unexpected I found him at a Petsmart and couldn't bare to walk away from him. I've long admired the species but never thought id be able to find one.
I believe he's a Colbalt he seems a deeper blue to me then the lighter blue kiddos I've seen online.
So far he's settled in well he's eating and drinking and his poops look good. He won't let me get too close but he will happily trundle over and stay at the side of the cage closest to me and chat with me and preen. He'll be seen by the vet tomorrow so hopefully all will be well on that front.
He's unfortunately on a seed mix but at only 5 months old I'm hopeful I can get him onto pellets and fresh food without to much of a struggle but not gonna lie I am scared he'll be a seed junkie forever so I really hope that won't be the case.
So far his noise level isn't bad,he's being vocal longer periods of time than the first night but thankfully at this point the volume has stayed the same. He sounds like a video game,kinda a laser sound effect and low level budgie chatter(he was housed next to two cages of them so no suprise)
I'm encouraged by his willingness to approach me while in the cage so I'm hoping this means that eventually he'll want to have a friendship with me outside of the cage.
I've never had a bird who wasn't tamed and wanted to be with me right away so this is a bit of new territory for me but I'm letting things happen at his own pace and not pushing him.
Unfortunately I will have to get him transferred to his travel cage for his vet check up tomorrow but I'm hoping that once that's over that we'll really be able to work on a relationship. I know Linnies even hand tamed ones tend to be hand shy and phobic so I'll happily love and accept him even if he always remains hands off. I'm just so thrilled to have a bird in my life to love again.
@sriseahawk @NorthernGannet @Dona @jmfleish

IMG_20220731_162259.jpg

IMG_20220801_215809.jpg

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh what a handsome boy! Looks cobalt to me. It sounds like he is settling in nicely! All the best to you! Linnies are awesome birds!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wishing you luck with the seed/pellet conversion :)

@Matto @Leih

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh what a handsome boy! Looks cobalt to me. It sounds like he is settling in nicely! All the best to you! Linnies are awesome birds!
Oh good that's lovely to hear that's the case,thank you!
So how have you found your little one to be? Has she remained hand tamed and friendly? Where did you get her from again, a breeder?
I'd love to hear any little quirks or behaviors you could tell me about that you've learned over the years sharing your life with her :heart:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wishing you luck with the seed/pellet conversion :)

@Matto @Leih
Thanks Zara! I've had luck before but that was with Conures not a species in the Parakeet family who would be more likely to stay a seed junkie. But I'll never give up I've been mixing Harrisons pellets in from moment one and I could be wrong but I think he may have eaten one this morning but I of course don't wanna crowd him while he's eating so I praised him and backed away.
Oh! And thank you so much for tagging some other Linnie members I really appreciate it.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck with diet conversion and he looks like a really sweet guy. You must be so proud :)
Thank you! I just got home and checked his bowl and I think there maybe pellet crumbles in there but I'm not 100%. I'm already so in love with him,he's all I thought about all day.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
I'm still stunned these show up occasionally in box petstores, maybe I should be frequenting mine more. Cobalt is high on my list of "i want!" lol. Glad you bought him and sounds like you two will get along well. :) Congrats!

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Congrats on the new linnie!!
I have a pair and they are so sweet and active! I honestly don't know why I waited so long to get one or two LOL they are really special birds!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on the new linnie!!
I have a pair and they are so sweet and active! I honestly don't know why I waited so long to get one or two LOL they are really special birds!
Thanks so much ! He's been a wonderful boy still working on being tame but he's just a joy either way. Aw what are your babies names? Any pics?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Holy crap he’s gorgeous! I’ve never seen a Linnie in real life, they’re so pretty, and look sassy!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Holy crap he’s gorgeous! I’ve never seen a Linnie in real life, they’re so pretty, and look sassy!
He's my first I've ever seen as well hence why I was so suprised,lol. He's absolutely gorgeous He's got several different shades of blue and I adore his little spots.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
He's my first I've ever seen as well hence why I was so suprised,lol. He's absolutely gorgeous He's got several different shades of blue and I adore his little spots.
Any videos of him yet? I’m very curious!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll try to take some if I remember :)

Dewdrop

Meeting neighbors
He's so cute! :D
How has the diet conversion been going?
Mine already ate pellets when I got him, but it took a couple of months at the beginning to get him to try fresh foods. Once he did he was good about slowly trying more and more new things. I think I started by clipping one thing up in the cage, like spinach leaves.
Now he loves his morning veggie chop and loves tearing into bigger chunks of veggies on a skewer. He seems to especially love bell peppers. He also eats his pellets by scooping a bunch into his mouth, dipping them into his water, then running/climbing away to sit somewhere else, transfer them to his foot, and eat them one by one. It's adorable.
I love their little spots too. :heart:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's so cute! :D
How has the diet conversion been going?
Mine already ate pellets when I got him, but it took a couple of months at the beginning to get him to try fresh foods. Once he did he was good about slowly trying more and more new things. I think I started by clipping one thing up in the cage, like spinach leaves.
Now he loves his morning veggie chop and loves tearing into bigger chunks of veggies on a skewer. He seems to especially love bell peppers. He also eats his pellets by scooping a bunch into his mouth, dipping them into his water, then running/climbing away to sit somewhere else, transfer them to his foot, and eat them one by one. It's adorable.
I love their little spots too. :heart:
He's completely converted now onto Harrisons! It took about 3 weeks but now he can't get enough of them,it's such a relief.
He'll still only eat primarily Peas and corn but he's decent about green beans and carrots but has turned his beak up at all fruits and Kale and Broccoli has also been a no go but I'll keep on trying:)

Dewdrop

Meeting neighbors
He's completely converted now onto Harrisons! It took about 3 weeks but now he can't get enough of them,it's such a relief.
He'll still only eat primarily Peas and corn but he's decent about green beans and carrots but has turned his beak up at all fruits and Kale and Broccoli has also been a no go but I'll keep on trying:)
That's awesome! I'm glad it went smoothly :D sounds like he's doing great.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's awesome! I'm glad it went smoothly :D sounds like he's doing great.
He is doing fabulous,and funnily enough I've had to take him to the vets a few times(not cause he's sick just another general check up because I wanted to make sure he wasn't under weight or over since i can't weigh him yet since he's still not tame) and then last week he had to say a few days while we sprayed for ants and I always give him a shower since he has to be caught and moved anyway and he has yet to bathe on his own and it's been 3 months now so I definitely want him to get a nice soaking every now and then but only if he already has to be caught never just to do it. And he absolutely loves his showers! He hops around flapping his wings and has a grand old time and strangely he will step up for me and sit on my finger no problem as if he was the tamest of birds but only if I'm in the shower with him! In his cage and not in the shower he just panics.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Hey i just discovered the other day that a couple of mine really really like chard! I just put a couple small/tender young leaves in there (it came in my plain bagged salad) and two of them gobbled it like it was the best thing ever.

@April that is funny about him sitting on your finger only in the shower like an old pro... one of mine who I got as an adult is like that. In the room where we live and breath (including in the cage), it's panic city with regards to my hand. But if we get in a neutral room, she will step up/down/ all around like she's done it her entire life. It's like two different personalities.