• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where do you keep your birds?

Where do your birds live / sleep

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My 6 birds all live in the living room. Two cages in the two corners next to the patio doors and one on the tv stand. When I have chicks in the nursery cage I take the cage to my bedroom so we sleep together.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My birds spend their days in the family room where all the activity is, and they sleep in a bedroom closet that I set up for them.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Monaco sleeps in the bedroom, and spends days wherever she wants, but usually in the living room. Her day cage is in the living room, but it's open unless I have to go somewhere.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
We have all but one cage in a room right off the living room. We have one in the kitchen as well. I hope to move them to the living room when the kids are a little older. Things get a little chaotic around here some times, and having a bit of seperation from them can save my sanity some days! But they all get turns in the living room with us each day.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Kiwi is in the dining room technically but its wide open to the living room. So I can sit on the couch and he is only 10 feet over from me..

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Chica is in my bedroom along with my reptiles/frogs which I can't say is particularly ideal but I try to keep dust and whatnot at minimum. Once I move out Im gonna keep her (and hopefully all my other animals) in a separate room from me. If not it isn't a big deal to me I just hope that my future apartment will have a bigger bedroom lol.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Yes, the poll says live/sleep. Well, mine spend the day in the livingroom/diningroom. But the sleep in my sewingroom/an extra bedroom. We have six cages in the house. Three years ago I would have called that crazy. Today, I call it loving my birds.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My budgie lives in my room, as it's where I spend most of my time. It's also the only room behind a door other than the bathroom, thus making it the only room where he can be out safely.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thx, should I keep Luna in my room?
If you don’t have to keep Luna in your bedroom then I would suggest not to simply due to the dust you’ll be breathing in all night long that you don’t have to breathe in.

LunaBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
William
Im am in my room basically 24/7, except for when i am at school.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm "other". I keep my birds in my home office where I prepare lessons and study. It's good because its a quiet space away from everyone but I'm in there most of the day.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
If you spend a lot of time in your room I think it's a good place to keep her(? the name Luna sounds female to me), especially if the other rooms aren't bird-proof or are also lived in by other animals that might be dangerous to her, but you absolutely want to look into getting a bird-safe air filter and dust your room frequently.

I kept my lovebird in my room too and even though they aren't powder down birds like tiels she still put off a lot of dust. I have a small air filter and it was noticeably dusty when I cleaned it every other week, substantially less since she's passed which really solidified its importance in my mind - and that says nothing of all the dust my gaming PC pulled in that never made it to the filter.

If you can't get a fairly good air filter or there is another safe quiet space she could maybe have a sleep cage it might be something you consider. She can have her daytime cage in your room so she can spend lots of time and you could even stay up later than her without potentially keeping her awake.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Should I answer twice if I have two separate areas?
Saya and Dimitri are in the living room. My others are in the aviary.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
2 places here too. Gigi sleeps in our homeschool classroom, but spends the day in the family room. Her cage rolls easily back and forth.

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
My two parrotlets Minnie and Ollie live and sleep in my computer room which is off the living room. Has door that can be shut at night so they can sleep where it is quiet and in darkness.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you have hepa filters running all the time? They can help.

You really don’t want to be breathing in bird dust all the time or even half the time. The more you breathe in the worse it is for your lungs.
I would feel awful for not telling you to do your proper research about the dust put out by birds and how it can affect the human lungs.... check into this stuff then make your own fully educated decision.
I have no choice but to have Burt in my bedroom at the moment so the air purifier runs non stop along side an aircon with true hepa filters and I vac (again true hepa filters vac) and wet wipe everything daily. The things I can’t wet wipe get washed frequently. With this routine I still manage to find bird dust in little spots I’ve missed and Burt is not actually a dusty bird!