• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where do you buy bulk soft wood?

casehulf

Moving in
Real Name
Casey
Does anyone know where to buy bulk, untreated, soft wood? My budgie, Lemon, loves to shred wood and I am having a hard time finding just bulk wood sheets or blocks for her to destroy that are relatively cheap. I had a good sized bag of balsa wood pieces that she loved, but I am now out. I found that one on amazon (from a US-based company, in theory), but I am now worried that amazon might not be the most trust-worthy site to buy stuff from (I bought some stuff for me that turned out to be fake, including toothpaste that I actually used before I figured out it was a fake). It does not necessarily have to be balsa, but it probably needs to be something on the softer side.

Thank you!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
In addition to CABN, I also like makeyourownbirdtoys.com, which is a sister company to Super Bird Creations.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like to buy untreated pine wood from Home Depot overall it’s a very economical solution if you can’t get other soft woods like balsa

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Definitely check out mahogany pods, too. I get most of my stuff from CA Bird Nerds, too, and I love that I can get just a few pieces for a trial or a whole bunch! She has lots of different sizes, too, my timid linnies love the 1/4" squares. Mahogany is a soft texture, kind of crumbly, it's a nice alternative when they seem a little bored and might like to try a different texture.

casehulf

Moving in
Real Name
Casey
Definitely check out mahogany pods, too. I get most of my stuff from CA Bird Nerds, too, and I love that I can get just a few pieces for a trial or a whole bunch! She has lots of different sizes, too, my timid linnies love the 1/4" squares. Mahogany is a soft texture, kind of crumbly, it's a nice alternative when they seem a little bored and might like to try a different texture.
I'm not sure she would like the pods. She does not really like chewing/shredding small things. She really prefers larger sheets or blocks of wood. She will shred paper or tissues, but really loves wood the best. How do you give them to your bird(s)/ how do they prefer to chew them?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I'm not sure she would like the pods. She does not really like chewing/shredding small things. She really prefers larger sheets or blocks of wood. She will shred paper or tissues, but really loves wood the best. How do you give them to your bird(s)/ how do they prefer to chew them?
My macaw had a blast for a few seconds with the whole mahogany pods. I wish I had of thought to save one for the budgie, he would have loved it too! The whole pod is not huge but it’s big enough to be quite fun for smaller birds. The texture was wicked fun as far as my Mac thought.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hmmm i wonder if Secret would like those? My grandsons are getting a kick out of giving her balsa pieces. I think I may have ran out though.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Hmmm i wonder if Secret would like those? My grandsons are getting a kick out of giving her balsa pieces. I think I may have ran out though.
They'd be worth a shot! If she likes balsa, she'll probably like those pods. They're easy to hold.

casehulf

Moving in
Real Name
Casey
She might like yucca. My birds love chewing yucca.
Do you have a source for buying yucca wood?

EDIT: I just saw the comment with CA bird nerds link! Thank you!

Last edited:

Aves

Do you have a source for buying yucca wood?
Cabirdnerds has it and I just get the undrilled to save money because I just use a bamboo skewer to poke a hole in it. Abirdtoy has it, too.

Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
A hand drill is invaluable when you have birds! I usually get the mahogany slices and will use them as spacers on skewers. I like to provide multiple textures as my lovebird and conure seem to get bored.

casehulf

Moving in
Real Name
Casey
A hand drill is invaluable when you have birds! I usually get the mahogany slices and will use them as spacers on skewers. I like to provide multiple textures as my lovebird and conure seem to get bored.
That is a good idea to use them as spacers! I will have to give it a try!