• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where do people get there material from?

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hi,
I see a lot of places sell toys and toy parts for parrots, but I always wondered where do they get there materials from. I would love to make them myself but I don't know where to get the palm leaf, the wood, the vines, the coconuts, ect. Does any know why they get there supplies from?
Ps, I'm in Canada so it makes things even harder...
Thanks!

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I love make your own bird toys, I found it's prices are a lot cheaper and they do ship worldwide! In my opinion, making bird toys is a lot better than buying bird toys, simply because you save money, it's fun, and your bird get's toys customized to what he or she likes! Of course there are some great toys out there you can't make...

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
www.cabirdnerds.com has a huge selection of toy parts. Avian Avenue members save 10% with coupon code aam5c.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you search Google for "bird toy parts Canada" I'm sure you'll get a few hits! I don't think we currently have any Canadian toy parts vendor right now!

Cabirdnerds.com has the most extensive collection in the US I believe!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Vendors typically do not give out their supplier info.... besides some stuff we vendors buy we have to purchase quite a lot. There are plenty of people on the web selling the stuff you are looking for but to get it wholesale is unlikely unless you go into business.

As mentioned, go with Ann at CA Bird Nerds and we have a few U.S. Vendors on here who sell toy parts like Laurie too of The Best Bird Toys. I use to sell big in toy parts back when, just recently sold off most of my inventory and now I solely make and sell stainless steel bird toys.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
I buy nothing online so always supporting our local store. I swear they get a smile on their faces when I walk in as they can hear k-Ching-k-Ching! :roflmao:

i know what would happen if I bought online -they would need a delivery truck just for my purchases. I hate shopping until it comes to hubby and bailey! :rofl:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Despite the initial shipping quote, California Bird Nerds had very recent shipping to Canada (you get a refund). I also get shreddables at a local mom & pop pet store.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Thank you all for your responses. It's really frustrating when your in canada :( I always have to pay more for shipping then for the products themselves. I'll check out all your suggestions!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
Thank you all for your responses. It's really frustrating when your in canada :( I always have to pay more for shipping then for the products themselves. I'll check out all your suggestions!
California Bird Nerds shipping is based on the dollar amount spent. All excess shipping charges are refunded at the time of the shipment.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Jan is correct that you typically have to purchase in bulk when you order from places that the vendors order from. It's more cost effective to purchase from one place like Cabirdnerds and I have always gotten a few $$ back on shipping charges. Unless you have 21 feathered friends...then bulk is also necessary along with a band saw, scroll saw, mitre saw, sanders and router... :lol:

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you browsed the vendors? Some sell parts.

:wideyed: some new (to me) vendors are on the list so I'll also be browsing.
:shop2:

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I would just order within Canada because the shipping rates from the U.S. to Canada is out of this world if it happens to be very heavy.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I can only recommend finding and supporting a local independent bird shop -- they're an invaluable resource and need our support.

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Pet shops do not have very much of interesting bird toy stuff and it is stuff that you can find at any other pet shop. Needless to say, like toys just hang out in the open exposed to to everyone's touching the items. Happy shopping at your local store!! :)

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
It's unnecessary to create FUD around supporting local bird stores.

Their existence and success does not undermine yours.

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Absolutely true Steve!!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like both options. Of course, I'd prefer it if I could get the same quality in person as I do from the AA vendors, but I can't. The shreddables are good though, even if people paw through them, which I'm sure some do.

ZY28, you can get nice beads at kids stores. I got a package at the local (non-chain) one here. You need to be careful to choose ones that don't shatter. My budgies really love beads.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
even if people paw through them, which I'm sure some do.
I suppose the silver lining of the times we´re living in, is that now most stores offer alcohol gel upon entering and most folks use it.