• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where are bird breeders

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
Hello! I recently have been looking into getting a pet bird. Disclaimer: I have put in a lot of research as well as experience into getting a bird. So please just answer my question :)
For some reason in Maryland I can find no bird breeders. The only one I found was for bigger birds that a newbie to the bird world cannot handle. All I’m looking for is a well taken care of sun conure for $350. I’m willing to travel a couple of hours but that’s it, no shipping. Please help! Any answer appreciated!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Maybe you could search for birds being rehomed instead? I believe sun conures are one of the most commonly rehomed birds due to their excessive noise

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
Maybe you could search for birds being rehomed instead? I believe sun conures are one of the most commonly rehomed birds due to their excessive noise
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been looking on birdsnow.com for rehomed birds. I have found a few but the owner doesn’t ever respond. I think I’ll keep looking though. Thanks!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are there any bird rescues in your area? I think @Lady Jane is from or close to the area you mentioned, maybe she knows of a rescue in the area?

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
I couldn’t find any near me. But I could try to find one close. Is it a hard process to adopt?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I couldn’t find any near me. But I could try to find one close. Is it a hard process to adopt?
I am not really sure what the process is over there to be honest. Many of our members have adopted from rescues so I am sure given a little more time you will get some more answers from some of the other members.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, if you have never adopted through a rescue before, it may seem like they’re making you jump through a lot of hoops. That’s because the birds there. Have already been through something and they don’t want it to happen again. They’re truly ‘all about the birds’ so you can expect extensive paperwork, some bonding time with the bird, and a home visit.
You can possibly find a breeder in MD through
-birdbreeders.com
-craigslist.com
-hoobly.com
-a local parrot club

I found quite a few by googling “sun conure for sale Maryland”

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hello Joseph. I agree there are few breeders in our state. I had to go to NJ to get english budgies. However do not despair. There is a bird store in Hampstead, Carrol county that has a good reputation. Home

If you can find it in your heart to adopt please contact Phoenix Landing. They are a wonderful organization the really cares about surrendered birds. They match you with a bird and for two months you are considered to be a foster home to be sure things work out. They want you to attended their bird care classes. I have been to several and they are worth while and free. Yes they will do a home inspection which is a good thing. You will find them on FB and they have a web page. Please let me know what happens.

Last edited:

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
Hello! I recently have been looking into getting a pet bird. Disclaimer: I have put in a lot of research as well as experience into getting a bird. So please just answer my question :)
For some reason in Maryland I can find no bird breeders. The only one I found was for bigger birds that a newbie to the bird world cannot handle. All I’m looking for is a well taken care of sun conure for $350. I’m willing to travel a couple of hours but that’s it, no shipping. Please help! Any answer appreciated!
Always nice to find a fellow MD Birder, I'll see what I can find as well!:)

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
You may need to go just outside MD sometimes though.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Joseph! :starshower1:

Good luck on your search for your feathered companion!! :)

, I'll see what I can find as well!:)
Remember, if you want to send ad links to Joseph, to use the PM feature.

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard

Thanks.

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger

Thanks!!

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
There's a breeder of sun conures in Reisterstown, not sure of her name though. She posts on hoobly.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hi, if you have never adopted through a rescue before, it may seem like they’re making you jump through a lot of hoops. That’s because the birds there. Have already been through something and they don’t want it to happen again. They’re truly ‘all about the birds’ so you can expect extensive paperwork, some bonding time with the bird, and a home visit.
You can possibly find a breeder in MD through
-birdbreeders.com
-craigslist.com
-hoobly.com
-a local parrot club

I found quite a few by googling “sun conure for sale Maryland”
Agree about the hoops but it is worth it and once you become established, they hoops lessen for the next one(s). Being on the other side of things and working to help place birds...hoops happen so they don't get returned. It's sad to see a bird be bounced a lot.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Joseph I'm from Maryland too. I bought my Linnie from the breeder that @Lady Jane linked. I highly recommend him. The Parrot's Nest in Hampstead, MD. His availability guide is not up to date, but he is also on FB with current birds. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
There's a breeder of sun conures in Reisterstown, not sure of her name though. She posts on hoobly.
Thanks, I’ll have to look into it!!