• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When will the tail feathers grow back?

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
My cockatiel has only 4 non broken tail feathers left:( she has mouldted one of the broken ones that i have clipped but when will the rest moult? Also how long untill itgrows back after moulted? I really want her to be fully flighted with non broken tail feathers. Should i try and pull out the broken ones??

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
DO NOT PULL OUT ANY FEATHERS the only time you should EVER pull out a feather is if she breaks a blood feather and you will know if she does because she will be bleeding and won't stop until the feather is removed. You also shouldn't clip the tail feathers just becuase they are broken. It only takes 7-10 weeks for a new feather to grow back in once it's been molted.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I clip broken feathers that are sticking out at odd angles - they are more likely to get caught and completely pulled out if they are left dangling. I have pulled flight feathers but I wouldn't pull tail feathers. It can take up to 2 years for those feathers to be molted and grow back in properly.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The tail feathers could be replaced in a few weeks or in several months. It really depends on the bird, diet, age, when the bird was hatched, the environment, lighting, season, etc.

Honestly, don't worry about it! Some tiels can't keep a nice looking tail until they are *at least* 1-2 years old!

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Odin has broken tail feathers too. I tease him and say he has a broken bum. From everything I have read here and other sources, it is nothing to get too panicked about. He kinda has a duck butt now. LOL

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My tiels also have broken tail feathers. One of them has never really had much of a tail at all. He's adorable, shaggy bottom and all.:heart:

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
Nigel has only ever had one, and i clipped it off so it didn't stick out so strangely.