• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When will mating behavior end?

Karnkate

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
I really don’t know when was the last time we play with each other. I only know that he just masturbates most of the time. When he’s out, he just changes perches. The perch being human fingers. Of course we won’t let him, and he gets frustrated.
36DCDF3C-4ED7-479F-90D6-2B9BA8F43DFE.jpeg 36DCDF3C-4ED7-479F-90D6-2B9BA8F43DFE.jpeg
I even stopped feeding him pellets because I thought it’s the protein. I want my Boon Rod back :crycry:

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Have you tried replacing those dowel rods with natural perches? I like the rope ones also, but think he would too!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My Sydney still mates with his boing. Even though he does mate with his girlfriend too. And my youngest is crazy in love with the whale.
My boys are fine though and playing and eating like normal so I'm not going to stop them.
Does Boon Rod come out and play with you during the day? Does he fly and is active?
If he's just doing that to the perches and not out flying and doing other bird stuff, then you can try some of the techniques we use for hens; reduce daylight hours, rearrange the cage, increase foraging etc

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wanted to tag @TikiMyn but I pressed post to quick. Robin might have some better tips :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
As Zara said, could you tell us a little bit more about him? What does he do when you try to distract him, are there any toys he likes? What is he eating now? I would adapt the diet to more veggies if he eats them, but perhaps you already do that. I feed my two lovebirds who can get veeery hormonal, chop off a plate when they are out. The way it best when I hand them little pieces, and eating makes them unable to do anything hormonal. I think it is more time consuming for them to sort through veggies then eat seed/pellets. I did that in the morning with chop as breakfast for a while, that seemed to break the habit a bit. What works wonders for my guys, and I often forget to mention to others, is fresh branches and flowers. When the grasses in the neighborhood carry seeds, I pick a handful twice a day and they stay busy with it for a good while. Dandelion for example is also very nutritious. Mine also love willow branches. If you could get something like that, he might take a stop masturbating and go for that instead. I don't know how your boy is about playing, but when hormonal mine stop playing mostly, and this gets them going a bit again. I would also try to reserve special treats, like millet and sunflower, for training. Recall training tires my birds out pretty well, so I try to make them fly as much as I can. Try to get him foraging, that tends to help my birds too.
In this case, I would remove any object he loves on. Fëanor, one of my birds, kept choosing a perch to love. But as he was obsessed with it, like Boon, I kept replacing them with a different one. If there are certain places in his cage where he tends to get himself more worked up, I would put a toy there to destroy or something else he used to love. I noticed that would entice my birds to start playing with it a bit again.
Good luck with your boy, he is beautiful:)

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@TikiMyn ---- NOOOOO! I gave our [now in birdie Heaven] Lovebird Curly Willow branches from our tree-- WRONG!!! --- Willow contains an aspirin-like substance. Sitting on it is one thing--- but CHEWING---NOOOO.

Any other info or comments from other more knowledgeable people???

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@TikiMyn ---- NOOOOO! I gave our [now in birdie Heaven] Lovebird Curly Willow branches from our tree-- WRONG!!! --- Willow contains an aspirin-like substance. Sitting on it is one thing--- but CHEWING---NOOOO.

Any other info or comments from other more knowledgeable people???
English is not my mother tongue. I know there is a few species of willow that are not safe, obviously I use the safe ones. I have read posts by this person before and felt I didn't need to specify that they should check the plant species before giving. They live on the other side of the world so I imagine the plant life would be very different than here in the Netherlands altogether. I looked it up and Pollard willow is my birds(and rabbits, and ducks) favorite, they are enjoying at the moment even. In fact my two avian vets recommend it...

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looking into the Willow branches, I´m seeing willow (salix) listed on the bird-safe list.

¨Willow Someone sent me a URL for a University of Maryland University medical center page about some willows, and and how the bark contains salicin: similar to aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). Apparently the wood does not contain the compound like the bark does. One excerpt reads:

"The willow family includes a number of different species ... ... Some of the more commonly known are white willow/European willow (Salix alba), black willow/kitty willow (Salix nigra), crack willow (Salix fragilis), purple willow (Salix purpurea), and weeping willow (Salix babylonica). The willow bark sold in Europe and the United States usually includes a combination of the bark from white, purple, and crack willows"

¨
Source; Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

Listed as safe here; Toxic/Non-Toxic

Prev. AA threads;

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
My Sydney still mates with his boing. Even though he does mate with his girlfriend too. And my youngest is crazy in love with the whale.
My boys are fine though and playing and eating like normal so I'm not going to stop them.
Does Boon Rod come out and play with you during the day? Does he fly and is active?
If he's just doing that to the perches and not out flying and doing other bird stuff, then you can try some of the techniques we use for hens; reduce daylight hours, rearrange the cage, increase foraging etc
He’s normal in every regard. It’s just that he will resume mating once we return him to the cage. He also will try to mate with our fingers if he’s perching on our hand. Staying on our heads/shoulders seem fine until he gets bored and starts nipping.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
. It’s just that he will resume mating once we return him to the cage.
My youngest is like that. I don´t think much of it. He´s happy playing while out, exploring and flying. His appetite doesn´t drop. I don´t see a problem with that personally.

He also will try to mate with our fingers if he’s perching on our hand.
Ahh, big no no. A good way to deal with that is treat it exactly how you would biting. So if he tries to feed you or do anything like that, remove yourself from that situation and ignore him a short while. Let him know, and be very clear, these advances are not wanted. I found this way to work very well in stopping advances from birds.

Staying on our heads/shoulders seem fine until he gets bored and starts nipping.
Yea, that´s understandable. He´s flighted though? So he can leave whenever he wants?
When you notice his boredom growing, get some toys out to play on a table top, or sit hom down on a play stand/play area. Sitting on heads is only fun for a short while, ultimately it´s boring for the bird sitting there for long periods of time.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
English is not my mother tongue. I know there is a few species of willow that are not safe, obviously I use the safe ones. I have read posts by this person before and felt I didn't need to specify that they should check the plant species before giving. They live on the other side of the world so I imagine the plant life would be very different than here in the Netherlands altogether. I looked it up and Pollard willow is my birds(and rabbits, and ducks) favorite, they are enjoying at the moment even. In fact my two avian vets recommend it...
I am MUCH RELIEVED! Thank you for this correction-- I appreciate it, especially being OK'd by Avian Vets!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Looking into the Willow branches, I´m seeing willow (salix) listed on the bird-safe list.

¨Willow Someone sent me a URL for a University of Maryland University medical center page about some willows, and and how the bark contains salicin: similar to aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). Apparently the wood does not contain the compound like the bark does. One excerpt reads:

"The willow family includes a number of different species ... ... Some of the more commonly known are white willow/European willow (Salix alba), black willow/kitty willow (Salix nigra), crack willow (Salix fragilis), purple willow (Salix purpurea), and weeping willow (Salix babylonica). The willow bark sold in Europe and the United States usually includes a combination of the bark from white, purple, and crack willows"
¨
Source; Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

Listed as safe here; Toxic/Non-Toxic

Prev. AA threads;
I DEFINATELY STAND CORRECTED...Thank You... to know tho, that I let her chew the bark--- our LB was NOT the same after having it for awhile... she didn't die immediately, but I do believe it caused her to have complications...