• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When will flight feathers grow in?

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
When I bought my green cheek conure from the breeder, he was clipped. He started his molt about 3-5 months ago (he’s 10 months old) and has shedded three or four tail feathers and head, chest and backside of the wing feathers as well. When do you think he will molt out his clipped wings?

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I think it takes about a year between molts on a GCC. I know BB was clipped when he came home 5 months ago and has molted most of the clipped feathers already. I had Cheddar clipped when BB came home and he is just stayed to molt them out.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I was told by my breeder it can be anywhere from 3 weeks to 1 year, depending on last molt. I got Sunni and he was clipped in september last year, They clipped him right before I came to take him home. :extremeanger: He has only just started losing the clipped flights in the last week or two, He has 3 clipped on one wing and 4 on the other right now.

conureluv

I think it takes about a year between molts on a GCC. I know BB was clipped when he came home 5 months ago and has molted most of the clipped feathers already. I had Cheddar clipped when BB came home and he is just stayed to molt them out.
When you say between molts, do you mean after the first molt, during the second molt?

conureluv

Little update:
Are these “Flight Pinnies” ? The white thing is flexible and tubelike.
A3FB95B8-0E26-4789-8B88-44966A7EB41E.jpeg CA75FCEA-17E5-4B7A-8205-33126C0755C9.jpeg

conureluv

Update: Almost all of his flight feathers are in on each wing! He’s flying around more casually outside of the cage, I’m so proud of him. I’ll send a photo when I can!

conureluv

They’re more tucked in during the day :D

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
:heart:

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Bailey had his clipped, at the breeder just before pick up, in sept last year, has had all of his flights now except for one on each side, and all new on his tail for the last couple of months. Still loses the odd tail one (couple of weeks ago was the last one) just got a shiny new feather which he will wreck the first time he wants to wrestle. :banghead: He is so hard on his tail!!

conureluv

He’s always flying to me if I walk to the other side of the room, so I’m teaching him to have better foot-eye coordination so he can land.