• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When to remove infertile eggs

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Hi! I have a lovebird who laid 3 eggs. 2 of them hatched, but the 3rd one didn't. I gave it a extra week, just in case, (also to give the babies something to support their heads on) but now I know that it is infertile. So can I remove it now? I think that I should, but I do have an extra problem: I can't see it. About 3 or 4 days ago, the lovebirds amped up their nest. They completely filled it with shredded palm fronds, and built a tunnel. When I try to look in, all I see is green, until the angry mama's head pops out. I can't lift a piece or section of the tunnel up (to get to the babies) without ruining the whole nest, because it's like the weaved it! But I know that I need to take that egg out, and I also really want to see the babies! I haven't seen them since they weaved the tunnel! The nesting box is up high, so I do need to stand on a stepladder to see into it. Also, the mom rarely leaves it, and if she does, as soon as she sees me she runs to it as fast as she can! So what should I do? Should I take it down for a few minutes, try to get the mom out of the way, and grab the egg? Or would that disturb her too much and make her want to abandon them? I don't know what to do! Please help!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Lovebirds don´t abandon too easily. Remove some of the bedding that is obstructing the view.
If the box is external (as is recommended), cover the hole and work quickly to remove the excess bedding, the egg, and peak at the little ones to be sure they´re ok. If you have a second person, they can stand on the other side of the cage with some millet spray to entertain her.
If the box is internal, it´s a lot more complicated. You will need to coax the hen out of the box, not easy, and out of the cage, even less easy.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Well the cage is on the inside of my walk-in aviary. The problem is no matter what I do, she won't leave the box! I've tried luring her with treats, waiting, trying to push her out with some palm fronds and pretty much everything! But I guess I can just take of the lid and pick her up (But with gloves so she doesn't bite my fingers off lol)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Try coaxing her out because it´s a bit less stressful. Maybe set up some shreddables for her to fly to, away from you. I know it will be difficult, hopefully you manage it :)