• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When to get a harness

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
I have a 3 month old cinnamon GCC and would like to harness train her. I was wondering about the size of the harness while she is this young. If we get a GCC-sized harness, will it be too big on her now? Is it ok to train her with a harness that is too big?

Also, any advice on harnesa training would be much appreciated.

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
I have a female turquoise GCC who is about 6 months old. I recently got an Aviator Harness for her. I got a size petite (which is recommended by the manufacturer) on this website; Aviator Bird Harnesses | The Birdsafe Store. I really don't recommend training with a larger harness. This is because when she is put onto the Harness that fits, she may not be as used to it than the larger Harness she was trained onto. Otherwise just get the size that is recommended for her size which is petite, she shouldn't be able to grow out of that as much as that is about how big she's gonna get.

Here's sizing info & etc. I got from the website

• PETITE ( XXS ) Aviator Harness for birds weighing 75-110 grams: Lg. Parakeets, Sm. Indian Ringnecks, Cockatiels, Sm. Conures (Green cheek, Brown throat)
  • Only 10.5 gm. (~ 1/3rd oz.) is the weight of ENTIRE Petite Aviator - Only bird harness designed for flying birds - Easiest to install - 1 piece design - No buckles or clips. Only 1 slide to adjust harness. No Stitching for your bird to play with.
  • Escape-Proof! Many other brands have leads and leashes with buckles and clips that can be easily removed by your bird. The strong steel slide has been powder-coated black to make them unattractive as toys.
  • Self-adjusting Elastic Leash: Automatically adjusts from the chest to the back as the bird climbs and flies and eliminates a SUDDEN IMPACT when he fly's to the end. Efficient design has fewer pressure contact points on your bird. Includes 45 minute training DVD in 6 languages.