• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures When to bring baby home?

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Our baby was born June 3rd. He's been growing really well. We are going to visit him this weekend! I just got a message from the breeder that he is down to 2 formula feedings a day now. He's eating pellets and fresh fruits and veggies. She said she could show us how to do the formula if we wanted to bring him home and continue with this formula feedings.

I'm sure this is something I could do, but is it the right thing to do? While we are excited to bring him home, I don't want to rush things if he's better off staying with her for a while longer.
IMG_1975.jpeg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I advise you to not bring your cute baby home until fully weaned! Sometimes they may regress when moved to new home and want to be hand fed. In some places it is not legal to sell a baby bird before it is weaned. The word rush is a word that does not relate to parrots.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I also advise to wait until the bird is fully weaned (so a good week or two after the last formula feeding).

Handfeeding won´t affect what type of relationship you will have with your bird.

The word rush is a word that does not relate to parrots.
This sums it up perfectly.

Your bird is beautiful, I can´t wait to read all about him coming home, once he is ready ;) ❤

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm sure this is something I could do, but is it the right thing to do?
No it is not. If he regress it's not sure that he will take food from you and then you have a big problem with a starving baby. Sadly that is common.
It's also better that he doesn't see you as a parent so it's a "win win" to wait.

Enjoy all your visiting. :)
They are important. He will adjust and settle in much better if he already know you.
And tell the breeder to not clip his wings, please!