• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When they stop screaming??

JSyle

Meeting neighbors
Question about screaming, or specifically the lack of screaming:

Background: We rescued this 6 y/o female in March 2021. Up until October, her normal noise level would be chattering and only screaming like once or twice a day. Then we had our roof replaced in October (we live in essentially a converted attic, the banging was loud, and no we didn't have the chance to move the birds because our landlord never told us when the work would be done we just came home after work to find them there). Since then, the screaming has progressively gotten loud and more frequent. Even when she was out of her cage and sitting on a stand she would be screaming. The only times she wouldn't be screaming was when she was sleeping, when no one was home, when we were holding her, and occasionally when she was eating.

Up to speed: Saturday she was doing her normal screaming thing, Sunday she did not scream once. She was back down to the noise level prior to the roof being replaced. She didn't scream at all this morning either. I checked her weight, normal. I checked her poops, normal. Her eating and activity level is normal and she is certainly more active now than she was a few months ago (she is growing confidence actually flying around). She went from screaming constantly to not screaming at all over night.

Question: What could have caused this flip? I really hadn't changed anything in her schedule. Of course now I'm worried that she isn't feeling well and is sick, I have a vet appointment on 12/21 so a little less than 9 days out. Should I be worried?

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly? I’d wonder if a bird was pretty silent only after like a week. Hormones and environmental changes (weather, definitely the roofing guys, etc) can ramp up screamers. And then they might take a day off, but be right back up to it the next day or in 24 hours. So I would wait a bit more, and see how she’s doing leading up to that vet visit.