• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When the HEN crows…

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
My hen Solo has been crowing lately. I’ve already called my vet and was told it’s some kind of dominance thing. So, what can I do to address this situation? Placing her with other hens is out as I don’t want more chickens. No one wants her because of this crowing thing. And my other birds are roosters or indoors.
She’s a bantam, btw. I’ve had roosters lay eggs and knew that a hen might crow but I’m having a wth with my Solo. Also she once attacked my roosters and I still have access to her mother but I’m wary of uniting them.

a little help?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You had roosters lay eggs? Huh :confused:

Any time I have owned chooks at least one of them would crow from time to time, I actually had a hen who put the roosters to shame with how awesome and loud she could crow. I dont know of anyone with chooks that has not experienced a crowing hen- not a huge deal as far as I am aware.

@fashionfobie might be able to offer some information.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hens can definately crow, but it is unusual for it to be as frequently as roosters. Lead hens also grow spurs.

There is also a very rare condition when chickens get hormone imbalances and take on more traits of the opposite sex, look up the "sex changing chicken" there was an article in the Guardian not long ago.

If the crowing is getting out of hand, you can try making a sleeping box for her that is fully blacks out the day. Some people do this with roosters. If you get her in the evening you can wake her later in the morning. This will at least reduce complaints from neighbours in the morning, but she will likely still crow a bit.

Keep in mind that it isn't her fault. If it is a hormone imbalance or a change in behaviour, she isn't a machine. She is just trying to live her best life.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I appreciate all of this. Yes, Solo is as much a birb to me as any of my indoor birds. She’s for lack of a bette word, a pet.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Search the internet for a "rooster night box"

This type of system can help, even though it really isn't ideal. It is at least a way you could manage it.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I read in the absence of a rooster a hen can take on the role to protect the flock. Some even crow so its not really abnormal.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
My hen Solo has been crowing lately. I’ve already called my vet and was told it’s some kind of dominance thing. So, what can I do to address this situation? Placing her with other hens is out as I don’t want more chickens. No one wants her because of this crowing thing. And my other birds are roosters or indoors.
She’s a bantam, btw. I’ve had roosters lay eggs and knew that a hen might crow but I’m having a wth with my Solo. Also she once attacked my roosters and I still have access to her mother but I’m wary of uniting them.

a little help?
I was just stopping by to report of my four hens two are now crowing. Odd. At first it was just Marge...she's in charge... Marge-in-charge started crowing last year, earlier this year, I can't remember. Just the other night I disturbed the two that roost in my shop, and was very surprised to hear a different one crow. I think she's just mimicking Marge. For quite a while Marge would crow every morning and afternoon, but it's tapered off to occasionally now. It took quite a bit of practice to get a good crow sound, so I'm not sure why she stopped saluting the sun.

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vernon
Yes, hens (chickens) can crow, I've seen it with ours years ago. Laying generally is a hen's job, not a rooster. If the hen lays eggs and has spurs it might just be a rooster. :)

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I had a hen once that we know was laying. I gave her to a friend who lived in the city and away from the others, she started crowing and grew spurs. My friend could not keep her in the city so she came back to me. She doesn't crow at my house (of course I have a rooster and she is not boss hen anymore) Maybe another hen or so my change the dynamics enough to stop that. You could also pull her out of the flock for a couple of weeks and see if that puts her down a notch.