• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When Should I Start Introducing Pellets to my Baby Conure?

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
He is roughly 5-6weeks old and we have had him for 3 days now. He is extremely tamed and is VERY food motivated. He just got done with liquid feedings and was fed seeds and soft grain/veggie mixture. When should I start introducing pellets? I was recommended and have bought a large bag of Harrison and RoundyBush pellets.

Also, can I freeze pellets? How long does it last for?

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Now :) Yes you can freeze...i try not to have more than 6 months worth in the freezer. I put it into 1 lb portions so it doesn't have to be thawed and refrozen

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Now :) Yes you can freeze...i try not to have more than 6 months worth in the freezer. I put it into 1 lb portions so it doesn't have to be thawed and refrozen
Okay. Thank you so much! Will have to buy more containers haha.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Sweetbeaks

Meeting neighbors
Mine 80% of their intake is Harrison’s , I followed the directions directly from Harrison’s site and he took to the power treats like a champ , switching to high potency in days . It took only a week using there method and order directly from them( if you are interested )

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Weaned at 5-6 weeks old seems very young.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's super young. Green cheeks don't usually wean before 8 weeks and 12 weeks is more the norm.

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
He looked way bigger than the rest of the babies and I never was able to talk to the breeder as he stated that he had a sensitive immune system and wanted to stay clear. I don’t think his daughter who I was talking to knew the age exactly. Kiwipo seems completely okay with eating food but I did notice that during target training he would clasp at the stick and it looked like he thought there was liquid in it :(

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
It's super young. Green cheeks don't usually wean before 8 weeks and 12 weeks is more the norm.
How old do you think he is? I just looked up Conures age 5-6weeks and he looks bigger than them. I’m getting kind of concerned now because I know that during target training sometimes he clasps his beak on the stick and tries to get liquid from it.
How old do you he is? I looked up ages 5-6 weeks and he definitely looks bigger. This video was posted on March 18 and I brought him home on April 5th but the breeder’s daughter called me on the April 2th that he was ready to come home. They told me that he would be ready in 2 weeks but because he was so big and ate more solids than all the other birds he could be home earlier. Just was surprised that we ended up waiting for only a week.

Attachments

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Mine 80% of their intake is Harrison’s , I followed the directions directly from Harrison’s site and he took to the power treats like a champ , switching to high potency in days . It took only a week using there method and order directly from them( if you are interested )
Okay thank you! When you were doing this, how much weight did your birds lose until they started eating the pellets? i was told by workers to wait a little longer until he gets bigger because of the weight loss possibility.

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Sorry let me retract my response to you...this picture is with him and the other babies so he must be the same age as them? But yes we did notice he was way bigger than the rest and 3/4 visits he was always eating seeds or their grain/veggie mix plate.

Attachments

Sweetbeaks

Meeting neighbors
I saw the green bag , check out the Harrison’s web site , it talks about the importance of using the high potency (for when you switch), I believe in the beginning it is high potency for 6- 8 months . My camper was eating all kinds of colors and huge bowl full of nuts , he was 65g when we brought him home , he’s 68 now which is only 2 months that we have him . I spoke with someone too about ingredients they where very Nice. Maybe they will suggest a juvenile bag and help you

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
I saw the green bag , check out the Harrison’s web site , it talks about the importance of using the high potency (for when you switch), I believe in the beginning it is high potency for 6- 8 months . My camper was eating all kinds of colors and huge bowl full of nuts , he was 65g when we brought him home , he’s 68 now which is only 2 months that we have him . I spoke with someone too about ingredients they where very Nice. Maybe they will suggest a juvenile bag and help you
Okay thank you! I will definitely take a look at their website. I do think it is weird that the pet store I went to recommended the adult bag :/

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
He is roughly 5-6weeks old and we have had him for 3 days now. He is extremely tamed and is VERY food motivated. He just got done with liquid feedings and was fed seeds and soft grain/veggie mixture. When should I start introducing pellets? I was recommended and have bought a large bag of Harrison and RoundyBush pellets.

Also, can I freeze pellets? How long does it last for?
EDIT: He is a little over 7 weeks old. We visited the breeder( he is about 7min drive)