• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When should I put my canary to sleep

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
Hello, it's winter in dearborn michigan and It usually goes dark at 6:43, I take my bird to sleep at 9:00 pm should I put him to sleep at 7:00 pm?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I let Mel put himself to bed, he's free range around the house, so I'll let @finchly take this one.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
I let Mel put himself to bed, he's free range around the house, so I'll let @finchly take this one.
alright gotcha, finchly always gives the good advice. already put my canary to sleep btw. and this is his new sleep schedule (7:pm on winters and 9:pm in summers/spring) heś not yet tame (estimating abt 3 or 4 weeks left for him too be tame) but when he is Iĺl let him choose when he sleeps. :birdance:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Lovely colors in your profile picture. Very similar to Melon.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It's my little canary. Juan Canary Melonius Thunk. Mel or Melon for short.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Dunno. I found him at a petsmart. He's looking a little bit like a pied red factor that isn't very red. Maybe one more molt and I can get a little more information. I wouldn't be surprised if he's just a mix of things.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
IMG_20210223_133832_897.jpg
This was over the summer, getting darker. His recent molted feathers have a deeper pink, but these patches seem to be the same pattern as the molts progress, just varied shades of spectacular. His primaries always look pretty pale peach.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
your canary looks really similar to this little fella and he's a pied red factor like you said what your canary was.,so i'm pretty sure you're right and you have a pied red factor.
62e88a3b176971979bc2a4ae26351e5f.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Look at the pretty canary! :heart:
My birds tend to follow sunset as their bedtime, except Ernie Pionus who goes to sleep at 6pm. So I think 7 is a great Choice. So is letting him decide later on.

Evey

Strolling the yard
I just saw that you mentioned molting. My buddies have been losing lots of feathers this week. It has been really hot in Santa Barbara this week. Does heat make them shed feathers?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I just saw that you mentioned molting. My buddies have been losing lots of feathers this week. It has been really hot in Santa Barbara this week. Does heat make them shed feathers?
It’s not the heat so much as the season I think.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
your canary looks really similar to this little fella and he's a pied red factor like you said what your canary was.,so i'm pretty sure you're right and you have a pied red factor.
View attachment 374821
Yes, very similar! Especially the darker face and the lighter collar.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
so we've confirmed you have a pied red factor. right?
Sure! Do the orange rollers change color with food supplements? Just curious. Weird that the pied patches are only peach, right? How do they hold some pigment and not none or not gain pigment with the xanthins (sp)? I think it's odd.

Circling

Walking the driveway
Real Name
John
We do 11pm to 11am with a navy blue cage cover that completely covers it. This works well for us. My nap starts about 1am.
:sinkng:

Last edited:

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
Sure! Do the orange rollers change color with food supplements? Just curious. Weird that the pied patches are only peach, right? How do they hold some pigment and not none or not gain pigment with the xanthins (sp)? I think it's odd.
yes, they do become more of a darker orange with food supplements, and yes I also think it's odd that most of the time orange rollers are darker then red factors.