• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When should I let new Quaker out of her cage?

Marelline

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsay
I just got my first Quaker a few days ago (not my first bird though, I have a sun conure) and I’ve been letting her acclimate for the most part these past few days. Between me and my fiancé we’ve been staying by her cage and talking to her and eating with her and our conure will be in there as well either minding his own business or eating or occasionally waking on top of her cage (I get him down).

On her second day home she was making some cute little noises, almost talking to us and was coming up to the door of her cage. My fiancé thought she wanted to come out so he opened the door. She came out alright, but she was flying everywhere (as best she can, she was clipped from the breeder) and growling and seeming like she was avoiding us. She seemed so stressed that I just put her back in her cage.

So how do I start to bond with this bird? I can’t do it in the cage because she’s territorial but I’m afraid if I let her about again she’ll freak out. Or should I let her out and just let her freak out for a bit and eventually adjust to her surroundings? Maybe offer her some food to see if she’ll relax?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Have you quarantined your new quaker?
She shouldn't be near your conure just yet in case she has health issues.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I would quarantine for 30-90 days away from your other bird then a vet appt and then you can let the new bird out with the other bird ...or if your new bird is in a separate room you should be able let it out after a 1-3 weeks span depending on how they get along in your home :strhng:

Marelline

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsay
I would quarantine for 30-90 days away from your other bird then a vet appt and then you can let the new bird out with the other bird ...or if your new bird is in a separate room you should be able let it out after a 1-3 weeks span depending on how they get along in your home :strhng:
Sorry for the late reply!
I had taken her to the vet and she came back with a clean bill of health so I thought she was safe to be around my sun! Oopsie! I did read both yours and Icey’s replies though and have been quarantining her ever since, just in case.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If the new bird has been in the same room as your current bird already, no matter how short of a time it was for, quarantine is broken and you just have to hope that nothing has passed between them.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
yay! Clean bill of health!
Hows your baby settling in?
Pic????? :heart:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
We need pictures :heart:

:cngrt5:On the clean bill of health :)

Marelline

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsay
@taxidermynerd @Pixiebeak @Kiwi's Dad

aww darn well I failed quarantine then :dead: Valor, my sun is doing fine though and Basil does have her clean bill of health so I think we’re in the clear! I guess I’ll move her cage back in with Valor now.

Basil seems to be adjusting okay, she’s just much more shy than Valor was. Valor was a Velcro bird practically from day one and Basil is still a little hesitant but she will sometimes come out of her cage and hang out on top and she’s even gotten better about letting me put my hands in her cage, she hardly nips at me anymore. She will let me pet her and she will step up!

Here’s some pictures of her! BD201BC8-8D3B-42C8-A2F3-378507BCCA17.jpeg

Attachments

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
@taxidermynerd @Pixiebeak @Kiwi's Dad

aww darn well I failed quarantine then :dead: Valor, my sun is doing fine though and Basil does have her clean bill of health so I think we’re in the clear! I guess I’ll move her cage back in with Valor now.

Basil seems to be adjusting okay, she’s just much more shy than Valor was. Valor was a Velcro bird practically from day one and Basil is still a little hesitant but she will sometimes come out of her cage and hang out on top and she’s even gotten better about letting me put my hands in her cage, she hardly nips at me anymore. She will let me pet her and she will step up!

Here’s some pictures of her! View attachment 421837
She’s adorable :heart: I’m glad to hear she’s settling in!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ooh she's so precious and I adore her name! :heart:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
BASIL is gorgeous!!!
I love her extra green tummy@
Sounds like great progress! Lots if time fir you guys to deepen your relationship such early days yet
:heart: