• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When should I first let out my Budgie?

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
I just got a approximately 5 month old Budgie 3 days ago and I was wondering when would be the best time to let him out the first time?

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whenever you feel that he is comfortable and is well situated into his environment to help get him comfortable you can offer treats

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I used to say two weeks, but really it should be fine once he knows where his food and water are. Be prepared for him to be out of the cage a good few hours the first few times - hunger will drive him back in so no food outside of the cage for now.
Make sure there are plenty of flat open places for him to land safely, and fix a perch just outside the cage door to give him a place to study the room from and as a place for him to aim for when he's ready to go back in.
Don't take him out, let him come out in his own time.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If this is your first bird, make sure you home is bird proofed!
Close all toiled seats. Keep filled drink glasses away from where he may land (they can drown in them).
Keep kitchen items cool....no cooking.
No soapy water in sink.
No other pets running lose.
No candles.
Make sure anyone else who lives there understands open door rules. DON'T OPEN DOORS IF BIRD IS OUT.

If this is not your first bird, forgive me. :)

If your baby comes to you for pets through the bars, he's starting to trust.
Trust is the most important thing you want.
Having to chase him down will just break trust, so make sure you have the time to coax him back into the cage.

Go slow, open that door when you feel he's feeling safe and comfortable.
Sit, watch some TV, let him do as he pleases (as long as safe).
Don't try and handle just yet.

Find his favorite treat and keep it for when it's time to go back to the cage.
Use it as a reward for going back home.

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE: I tried to open the cage door and he immediately flew out and almost had a heart attack and kinda hit the door. He is currently sitting on a painting on the wall clinging for dear life. What do I do?!!!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
UPDATE: I tried to open the cage door and he immediately flew out and almost had a heart attack and kinda hit the door. He is currently sitting on a painting on the wall clinging for dear life. What do I do?!!!
He’s still getting used to the room and he’s scared, letting him be until he calms down would probably be better than trying to go help him as he will see the help as a threatening thing.

Try to monitor him in case he got hurt crashing into the wall.

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
OMG HELPP HE IS FLYING ALL OVER THE ROOM PLEASE WHAT DO I DO!! He is clinging to the outside of his cage now I think he hit the wall too.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
OMG HELPP HE IS FLYING ALL OVER THE ROOM PLEASE WHAT DO I DO!! He is clinging to the outside of his cage now I think he hit the wall too.
He’s probably a little panicked and panicking will only make him more alarmed. Try to stay calm and don’t chase him. Just watch him and make sure he doesn’t act oddly.

It’s normal for a new bird to fly around a lot when they’ve never seen a place before, he’s still not used to the place

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
He’s probably a little panicked and panicking will only make him more alarmed. Try to stay calm and don’t chase him. Just watch him and make sure he doesn’t act oddly.

It’s normal for a new bird to fly around a lot when they’ve never seen a place before, he’s still not used to the place
ok I'm trying just to monitor him he seemed to have calmed down now

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE: So I tried to turn off the lights so he would go back inside to sleep, but it didn't work. I left him with the lights off for about 30 minutes, and I come back to check, I couldn't find him. I yelled for help and I spotted him on the top of my dresser. We tried to coerce him by bringing my hand close to him (he's not used to me so he is scared of my hand) so he would fly. He flew a couple of times around the room, and finally he was in a position where he couldn't fly from without falling (he was upside down) so I took the opportunity to grab a clean shirt, and I grabbed him and put him back into the cage. I hope I didn't lose any trust (if I had any at all as I have only had him for 3 days), but he is safe now, caused me ALOT of stress. Well He's okay now lol thanks for all the info guys.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
If it happens again and you need to get him back in the cage. Teach him to step up onto a perch, he might be more comfortable on a perch then your hand.
This is what I do for my two semi-tame budgies. When flight time is over it's onto a perch and back in the cage.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
The bird can tell when you are panicked, stay calm always. Don't leave him unsupervised, There are plenty of things that could kill a bird in an instant. Yelling and freaking out will only scare the bird and make him panic. Spend a lot of time around his cage reading, talking softly and just help him realize you aren't a threat. He can get scared from loud noises and sudden movements, so you may want to keep him in a quiet room. Good luck with your new feathered baby and welcome to the avenue!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:wow:
Safety first. They are safe in the cage while getting used to the new home.
You have to watch windows & mirrors etc as those they need to stay away from.
As for the walls he was nervous. They seem to find a painting or curtain rod to settle on.

Glad you got him back. The shirt or a towel is a good idea for emergencies. Have all these things available before he comes out & make sure the room is as safe as possible.
Best he goes back by himself which he will learn in a while but when he is a danger to himself then a towel can be used.

Darkness makes them easier to catch but also could make it more unsafe to fly. Not total darkness so you lose track of him. Go over the events again & again & try to think each point along the way things you could have done differently or avoided.

Likely the whole ideal will be a blur to him as he was so stressed. Try to get him more used to you in the cage with treats etc. You don;t want to use alot of toweling to get him in as it just puts things back. Still after 3 days you can;t expect much so go slow.

What kind of cage? Can you have a perch on the inside of the door so when the door is open they can fly to it & maybe you can shut the door.

I really think they need more time before the next flight.

Watch him for any weird signs in case he got any injuries from hitting walls.
Make sure windows are closed with curtains or decals & cover mirrors.

Macawpower 58 has good tips especially about the toilet in case he fell in & you did not see.

Last edited: