• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When should bird show signs of improvement on chloramphenicol?

Linearis

Walking the driveway
I was just wondering how long it usually takes to see improvement when you give your bird chloramphenicol because I've been giving Lumi that and Meloxicam (I think that's what it's called) for two days and a half and the only thing that has changed is that now her voice is more hoarse which makes me think she's just getting worse. Vet also had me buy a probiotic to sprinkle in food.

I'm worried it's not a bacterial infection but something else which is why I figured I'd ask. Vet explained why it probably is a bacterial infection but didn't seem too sure. Everything so far cost me 380$ and I'm guessing the follow up visit won't be free either.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
An antibiotic usually shows an improvement in the bird within 48-72 hours, if it is effective against the bacteria the bird has.

Meloxicam is a NSAID (pain killer and anti-inflammatory) and you vet is probably giving it to your bird due to the obviously sore throat.

If there is no improvement in another day, you should call your vet and discuss it with him.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
An antibiotic usually shows an improvement in the bird within 48-72 hours, if it is effective against the bacteria the bird has.

Meloxicam is a NSAID (pain killer and anti-inflammatory) and you vet is probably giving it to your bird due to the obviously sore throat.

If there is no improvement in another day, you should call your vet and discuss it with him.
Thanks for your reply. My vet told me the nti-inflammatory drug was prescribed because of irritation in the intestines or something but I don't really remember. Tomorrow I'm planning on not going to school to watch over Lumi more closely so I'll see if there's an improvement.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Chloramphenicol is a broad-spectrum antibiotic used to treat serious, life threatening bacterial infections in poultry. It is effective against a wide variety of microorganisms, however since oral absorption is erratic and the potential toxic side effects to the liver and kidneys, the drug is usually only used for the treatment of birds with serious and life-threatening infections. Caution: Known to cause bone marrow suppression and should be used with great caution in birds with any existing kidney or liver damage.

See more at: Chloramphenicol for Chickens and Ducks
Definitely call back with any concerns. @Hankmacaw is right..I hope your bird will be ok.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Should she not be on it then? X.x Her dose is 0.02 twice a day.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Giving us the dosage doesn't do any good unless we know the weight of the bird and the mg/ml of chloramphenicol solution. If you trust your vet and he prescribed it you should follow his instructions. My birds have been on chloramphenicol more that once - under the close care of a vet. No problems and not detrimental side effects.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
I don't trust private health services that much no. She's a parrotlet, don't know how much she weighs right now because the scale is at home and both she and I are currently at Grandma's house. There's not much I can do right now either way... Her voice sounded more normal earlier, bubble still there. Just finished giving her another dose.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
All medications have possible side effects. That isn't a reason to not give medications when they are needed.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Yes but it's making it sound like there are other antibiotics that are less potent, the vet didn't make this sound life threatening and didn't even seem sure it was bacterial... And again, no progress yet. I was wrong earlier, her voice is still hoarse.