• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When plucking starts nearing mutilation.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How far are you from me? Would Sweden like an Elvis playdate? Or would Elvis kick up the hormones?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Oh my, I think she'd love it! I had a small Tag years ago, and Sweden tried for years to befriend her.
She'd get near Solomon (My Zon) if he'd allow it.
We should definitely meet up if you're not too far.
I am about 40 minutes outside Pittsburgh, close to Weirton, West Virginia.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
No, never worn a collar. I probably should get a few just in case I ever need them.
I know how hard the decision would be...to put a collar on Sweden.
I have a couple of petal collars ready...just in case...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my, I think she'd love it! I had a small Tag years ago, and Sweden tried for years to befriend her.
She'd get near Solomon (My Zon) if he'd allow it.
We should definitely meet up if you're not too far.
I am about 40 minutes outside Pittsburgh, close to Weirton, West Virginia.
That's not that far. We should plan something. I haven't had Elvis around a lot of other birds but @cassiesdad said he liked Buddy.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think Ariel might have almost been a casualty of the pandemic. I have no proof. However, I had to order a different seed mix than my usual. I've settled on a basic seed mix for years with no vitamins or colors added. Higgins Supreme cockatiel. Everyone but the macaw will eat it and its not super high in fat for my already fat amazons. Ariel plucked quite a lot in her youth and then mysteriously stopped...mostly. My seed supplier ran out of my usual blend so I ordered a related blend by the same company but had the colors and vitamins added. Within a few weeks she was nearing the point of me worrying about mutilation. You couldn't see anything from the outside other than her chest feathers were a little thinner than usual. But, if I pushed aside the feathers, she had a couple of small scabs on her crop and chest. They started out looking like the little blood spot that happens after a feather is yanked out but they expanded. And they weren't in places that she had feathers anyway. They never went deep, but she was clearly itchy. I tried more baths, but that seemed to make it worse, which was consistent with what I found when she was younger and plucking more. Shortly after I ran out of that seed, things were looking better pandemic wise, places were starting to open up and I was able to get a bag of our usual shipped. She stopped biting herself within a month of switching back to the usual.
When she was young, Noni juice did seem to legitimately help her a lot. I've heard of a few cockatoos that it has helped and a bunch that it has not. I looked into it this year but my old brand that I'd used previously is no longer produced and when I experimented 15 years ago, there did seem to be variability in the effectiveness of different brands. It does seem to have a therapeutic dose and its nasty flavored stuff so getting the right amount into the bird without force takes some doing. I used to do a teaspoon mixed with the soft food every day. She is a large sulfur crest though so you might not need as much for a goffin's. Assuming that it is somehow an anti-inflammatory, you might just see if your vet can try a few weeks on meloxicam. Supposedly its well tolerated and likely to have much more consistent results than a maybe/maybe not holistic remedy.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That's not that far. We should plan something. I haven't had Elvis around a lot of other birds but @cassiesdad said he liked Buddy.
Ah yes...Elvis and Buddy were quite the item!
They would take turns mutually preening each other on either side of E's cage when he came to visit.
I wonder what a Goffin/Nanday hybrid would have looked like? ;)