• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

when is this going to stop if at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Jay our blue fronted Amazon going on fourteen yr old soon, appeared to have settled well and we were getting along well (so I thought)
Think he liked to lull me into a false sense of security, because today on leaving him out of his cage, I noticed he did not seem in too good a mood.
So I chickened out and left him climb out on his own in his own time rather than get him to step up.That would have deffinately been a bite situatioin if in a bad mood.
Minding my own business and passing across the sittingroom to another cage, Jay suddenly launched himself off the top of the cage and clamped his beak (with teeth) right through my index finger. Not stopping in flight he landed on Scooby's cage. so I followed him over and tapped his beak telling him NO that was not a nice thing to do.
After that is was as if he had got rid of his aggression build up and we were all happy families once again. Except I am now wearing another d.....Plaster!:eek:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so sorry that you got bit thanks for sharing:hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
ouch Ann - so sorry

no Amazon experience, but I do know that if either of mine Boogie (CAG) or Sugar (GCC) are in a grumpy mood, I tend to steer clear of them and keep a sharp eye on them

it is still so soon though, they have not been with you long and you are making wonderful headway with them

do you have on anything different today - a new color blouse, hair etc?

I think they have their bad days just as we do

big hugs to you!

gg

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Wow, sorry this happened Ann! That must have been very painful. Hard to say when the sudden aggression will stop. Have you considered a clip? If Jay continues being unpredictable and a danger, I would perform a minor clip and progress from there.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Just taken this picture of the little darling. He looks as if butter would not melt in his beak!
Yes there was something he did not like about me, it was not wearing a plaster on one of my digits!:rofl:
Have to admit the biting is a lot improved from when he first arrived back in July, but do so hope it is not going to carry on forever. :hug8:

Attachments

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Have never ever clipped one of my birds so would not know how to start. If it had to be done the Avian vet would be doing it for me.
As it is \I feel so strongly about clipping, and think they should be left as nature intended. Will carry on working with him and not going to give up just yet.
There is more of me than him and that is a big comfort !

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Have never ever clipped one of my birds so would not know how to start. If it had to be done the Avian vet would be doing it for me.
As it is \I feel so strongly about clipping, and think they should be left as nature intended. Will carry on working with him and not going to give up just yet.
There is more of me than him and that is a big comfort !
I totally agree with your sentiments about clipping except when there's a present danger to people (including owner) and other animals. That is where I cross the line, and would not tolerate severe aggression that could result in maiming or the death of another animal. Only a suggestion not a recommendation.

Holli

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holli
One word - "OUCH" :omg:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So sorry he got you:hug8: Shame on you Jay:smilesign:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Hun so sorry you got bit but very lucky as from living with an amazon they go for your face so please do not take chances i do not like to clip but if in your shoes id make sure it was done and a good clip one that would take long time comming back this way you have a better chance of bonding
i lived what i just wrote im in fear for you god bless you in your convictions

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh Anne...that little stinker. I know that must have hurt. Maybe listening to the inner voice and instead closing the door to the cage when you sense he's in a bad mood may help a little. :hug2:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What???? No "bloody" pictures?? (Pun intended) I'm so disappointed!! :)

jylu97

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Liz
Don't you sometimes wish you can bite them back? I can't help agreeing with Titanis. A mild clip may keep Jay's attacks at bay. I can't believe how innocent and sweet he looks in the photo.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
He sounds like my CAG......who is also a rehome....very unpredictable.

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Oh Ann, my finger hurts for you. Hopefully he will come around soon.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thank you all for your kind thoughts and my finger has not dropped off so not too bad!
Thing is I do literally everything for the birds including jay, and so I am the only one who he goes for when he feels like some red meat!
You leave him out of his cage thinking it is going to be just the same, and then find him all sweetness and light. You never know how he is going to be.
His original owner never had that side of his character at all, he just doted on her. Think it has stemmed from all that has happened to him since leaving her. To him she was suddenly gone,and strangers took over, not always understanding him. this may take awhile to work through, but work through it I will. He is not biting any other member of family, so for that I am grateful. We will get there someday.:hug8:

Coliephile

Meeting neighbors
We as birdowners must realize that most species of parrots bite as a form of communication to express a multitude of moods, desires and emotions. It could mean: a) a way of establishing hierarchal territoriality b) an expression of sexual frustration c) displaced aggression stemming from a different source causing fear or anger d) a means of gaining your attention e)jealousy. If you ever have a chance to observe a wild flock of parrots; be it Amazons, conures,grays, macaws or cockatoos you will notice that nipping and biting are common practices amongst individuals. But since the repercussions of this behaviour are not acceptable amongst humans, the bird itself does not understand its negative impact on you. A wing trim and making sure the bird is never eye level or above you can help to discourage this behaviour. Diversion is also a good way to curtail biting ie; keep his/her brain busy with foraging toys and food so the bird doesn't consider the attacking/biting idea as much. I'd rather the bird take it's frustrations and anger out on a shoebox or a wooden toy rather than considering my flesh for venting. Just some suggestions...

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Anne:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
believe you me it has all been tried. There are new boxes on top of the cages for when they come out each day. Jay appears to be quite happy and busy, but show him lamwa moving anywhere near his cage, or Chaz and his cage and he goes spare.
then there is the question of the stand perch. Used to be used by all of the Greys and then Jay comes along. They would not dare go onto it now or look out! So think it is territorial behaviour mixed in with some wayward hormones.:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.