• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When is a bird considered geriatric?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I stuck a handful of nutri berries between branches and under leaves. Unwrapped, they got them in 10 minutes! All evening they were pulling leaves off the tree trying to find more. Was tempted to get the rake to clean up the mess! Tomorrow I'll use cupcake wrappers and be more clever hiding them. They are truly enjoying this pastime. I'm going to try hiding popcorn too.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
They have a nice, open space. You could easily add a couple of foraging boxes for them to dig through. :) Lots of fun opportunities!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
This was a lovely thread to read. It was nice hearing about the older and wiser birds and their pasts, thank you to all those who shared :)

Munchy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Archie gallo
As many of you may know, I was blessed to be able to attend the 2016 Wellness Retreat, the Nature of Parrots, hosted by Phoenix Landing in Asheville, NC.

There was a study done in the early 1990's (sorry, can't read my scrawl to indicate who did the study) that indicated the following:

Small birds greater than or equal to 6 years (includes budgies and lovebirds)

Cockatiels greater than or equal to 12 years

Amazons, macaws, cockatoos, African Greys greater than or equal to 30 years

Again - I apologize that I did not write clearly enough to indicate who did the study in order that we could look up the details. Since it WAS done in the early 1990's - perhaps another is being contemplated.
i was told by a person that owns an aviary shop, she advices me to do a living willand I considered her advice, I live alone with my two pets a dog and Munchy, and I’m proud to say my animals are very well cared for,tags shots all the comforts of my indoor dog and Munchy he has all the toys att,and great diet, it’s like ure body you are what you eat.

Attachments

Munchy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Archie gallo
Gorgeous blue front I’m proud of my munchy

Munchy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Archie gallo
Most "large" parrots are comparable to humans in aging. Dogs are supposed to be 7 years to 1. Most parrots it's closer to 1 to 1.

Having said that. I know 30 years olds (people) that look and feel 80 and I know 80 year olds that act and feel like 30. It boils down to heredity. Genetics. Lifestyle. Diet. Fitness. Environment. etc. So you see there is no correct answer.
Only difference is us humans can make that choice,birds can’t do it on their own,the owner is in charge of the birds life span.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not all humans have all choices open to them. People must play the hand life dealt too. If we have such choices open to us, we are blessed. :)