• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When I go get the quaker, I'll have to towel him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I posted about a quaker I'm going to get, most likely this weekend, hopefully sooner.

Here is the link about him. :(

http://forums.avianavenue.com/rehome-highway/5515-i-really-want-help-quaker-pics-him-his-cage.html

Since he hasn't been out of the cage in about a year and is fully flighted, I guess I'll probably have to towel him to get him out? At one time she said he was handled on a regular basis by her ex but I'm not sure how he would do for me since he doesn't know me. She said she didn't know if she could get him out of the cage. Plus, she has 7 cats and I sure don't want one of them to get him.

This may be a dumb question, but is there another way? If he'll step up I could just put my hand over his back and put him in the carrier? (Making sure the cats are in another room). But if he won't step up for her then I don't think he will for me.
I know I'll have to build trust with him but I don't want to have him really scared of me right off the bat by toweling him and I don't want to scare him more than he'll probably already be.

If she lived closer he'd be here by now.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
could try a external perch - A dowel rod works in a lot of cases. I'd make it long enough that He can't get to your hands inside the cage

if all else fails then you'll have to towel him

but before doing anything IF there is time of course and your not in a rush, I'd sit beside him and talk to him maybe hand him treats through the cage bars..... he may just amaze you and step up or come out willingly

if she's not a "bird" person that's probably why she hasn't even tried to get him out - probably doesn't have a clue. ya know non bird ppl don't pay much attention to their bird people spouses/boyfriends etc. So she may not even know how to go about getting him out.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I posted about a quaker I'm going to get, most likely this weekend, hopefully sooner.

Here is the link about him. :(

http://forums.avianavenue.com/rehome-highway/5515-i-really-want-help-quaker-pics-him-his-cage.html

Since he hasn't been out of the cage in about a year and is fully flighted, I guess I'll probably have to towel him to get him out? At one time she said he was handled on a regular basis by her ex but I'm not sure how he would do for me since he doesn't know me. She said she didn't know if she could get him out of the cage. Plus, she has 7 cats and I sure don't want one of them to get him.

This may be a dumb question, but is there another way? If he'll step up I could just put my hand over his back and put him in the carrier? (Making sure the cats are in another room). But if he won't step up for her then I don't think he will for me.
I know I'll have to build trust with him but I don't want to have him really scared of me right off the bat by toweling him and I don't want to scare him more than he'll probably already be.

If she lived closer he'd be here by now.
I would just be careful because if he is fully flighted, hasn't been handled and there are cats running around all over the place, that could be dangerous. If you are not going to towel him, then see if you can put the cage in the bathroom first so you don't have to try and chase him all over if he freaks and so that the cats aren't loose chasing him or anything. I am so excited fro you to get him!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Put him in another room when you get there (obviously with the door closed) and see if he'll step up, if he will, then it'll make it easier BUT it's getting him into the carrier that's could be hard. Though, you could bribe him with some sort of treat and that may work, if not you'll probably have to just towel him. When you do get him, put him straight into the carrier and cover it a bit so he doesn't stress out too much.

Are you keeping him? :p Kudos to you for taking him in. :hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
That's true Kelli, she may not know how to get him out. From looking at the cage I don't know if there is a long door on it or a short door at the bottom. I'll take the time to sit and talk to him a while. It may be best if I just go on up there and get him instead of having her try to and meet me somewhere. Was hoping she could meet me half way. I called her just now and left her a msg.

Vicki, I'll make sure he's in another room so the cats won't go after him. If she tries to get him out I'll tell her she may have better luck in a smaller room, in case he flies away. She says her cats don't pay attention to him but instinct may kick in.

Renae, I'll take a towel to cover the carrier. Poor little birdy. I know he's going to be scared. Yes, I hope to keep him. :dancing:

IowaGal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
I am so thrilled you are going to get that poor baby! I agree with others when they say you may be surprised that he will let you get him out easily. When we got Seymour, we were able to just reach in and get him. I think it may be because he "knew" he was going "home". I hope it goes this way for you. Bless your heart for taking him in!
:hug8:

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
The G2s were dropped off cage and all on my front porch. Their cage didn't fit through the door.

The G2s were fully flighted also. And totally freaked out.

I couldn't catch them in their cage with the towel. I was afraid that they would hurt themselves with all that thrashing. So I ditched the towel and used my hands.

My method is to put my thumb and forefinger on either side of their beak, very firmly. The bird's natural inclination is to raise its claws and grab your hand; thus freeing you to take them out of the cage and put them in the carrier.

It is less traumatic than chasing them with a towel and I have seldom been bit using these method.

Zazu dented my track record. After I had successfully extracted Anu; Zazu knew he was next. I didn't get a good hold on the lower mandible. He freed his beak enough to take a good bite on my finger. Adrenaline kept me going with no reaction. I think my being calm went a long way toward Zazu and I forming our special bond.

renaelock

Strolling the yard
it goes by a bird by bird basis. My sun conure wasn't toweled and actually traveled in his cage to my home. When I started getting him out I had to towel him to move him from cage to cage, then he "told me" and stepped up on the towel = no need to towel him when he stepped up! Sometimes you have to take two steps back before you can take a step forward. I remember I did something to make him mad in the beginning of him living in my home and I had to go back to having him step up on the towel or he would go to bite me every time. Now he's a great bird. You can access the situation, but I'd towel him to be safe.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Thanks everyone, I'll see how he acts as to what I need to do. Who knows, he may come right to me, wouldn't that be nice. I'll take a towel with me though.

I'm driving up this weekend to go get him.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Thanks Danny.

She hasn't returned the my phone call from last night but I'm sure she's probably just busy with Thanksgiving. I'm scared she'll change her mind or find another home. But she said she really wanted me to have him. So I'm sure I'll hear from her after the holiday. I'd go get him today if she'd let me.

And to think at first I was hesitant, wondering if I could do it wondering what all his needs may be, although I knew he needed to be in another home with lots of attention and a new cage, even if it wasn't with me and I had to find him a good home. But now he just feels like MY bird.
:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.