• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

when does a canary start to really sing?

Alyn

Moving in
I got two sweet red factor canaries for Christmas, Mango and Tiki. I was wondering when they should start to really sing. They are supposed to be males, and they do chirp and "talk" a lot, but don't really sing. I think they are about 5 months old now. I play a lot of canary singing videos, and I have noticed one of them making different sounds, like he is trying to imitate the birds in the videos. I read that red factors are not as good singers as the other breeds, but I hope at least one of them will eventually sing.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Are you sure they are males? How do you know? The pet store we bought our budgie from said every budgie in the big cage were males. The one we got is female.

I don't know anything about canaries, but hopefully someone will be along soon who has more experience than me. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sounds like at least one is a male!

Mine might be late bloomers, but they never really sing till about 9 months.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Also, don’t sing during mounting...I’m always so happy when mine resumes after her “hiatus”:pinklol3:

(...and, congratulations on such a lovely gift!)

Alyn

Moving in
I am not really sure they are males. I don't really know how to tell either, but I do think at least one is a male because he really reacts to the singing videos. So is it safe to assume that they won't begin to sing until about 9 months? Should I still continue to play the singing videos?

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Usually the next “breeding season” so if they are five months old, you have to wait a while still. They may not sing for another few months. Playing sounds of other singing canary’s (or singing birds in general) helps them make their own repetoir, so keep doing that :)