• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When does a caique reach their adult weight?

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
Hi all! Hoping one of the resident caique experts could answer this. I’ve been curious about what age a caique is actually fully grown, because my little guy is quite small for a male caique (10 months old, usually 125-130 grams).

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
I should note that my caique is in perfect health (aside from some raggedy baby feathers that he’s working on molting) per our avian vet so I’m not concerned by his weight, just wondering if he’s got any growing left to do :)

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I don't weigh mine often, since they are all flying about so mush they find their own iideal weight.

Even the babies know this and will refuse food to prepare for flight

They probably reach 80 percent of their final weight at about 4 months.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
If you have found a way to get a caique to stand still on a scales for two seconds, please let me know

I have 12of these little bugg, oops darlings, and none of them will do it

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Seriously, the best way to weigh a caique

a) Find a small hand size portable perch and a walnut piece. Place both on the scale and weigh them
b) Place bird on the perch ( still on the scale) and distract it with the nut.
Subtract weight A from weight B

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
I got Mango desensitized to a towel very early. I weigh him on his back with no fuss then subtract the towel. I can preen his pins and do his nail without the towel now. I dont think he will ever sit still for a scale unless I wrap him up. he does squawk typically when the towel is first out but once all snugged up he knows its ok and doesnt wiggle. He just looks at me with these pitiful eyes and waits for the unwrapping good boy treat. I think Mango's last weight was 146g @ 7 months. He is more of a nibbler with very distinct times of day for a full on munch. Took MONTHS to get him off the Pure Fun and Fruit Pellets. He is now on a natural no dye pellet, cheerios and a pinch of slivered almonds. Home made bird bread with veg, oatmeal and pellets is his dinner. For some reason his morning blob is better formed if I dont put "dinner" in his night dish. Zucchini was a major fail - I am a certified poop inspector lol. The things that come out of my mouth only a bird nerd could understand :)

Wondering, does anyone give SPRAY MILLET for a treat ? If so, how often. Ive only used it for finches but Mango loves the crunching but Im weary of the amount.

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
If you have found a way to get a caique to stand still on a scales for two seconds, please let me know

bahaha too true. I use a kitchen scale. I put a paper towel on top of it (the scale is shiny black and he’s scared to stand on it because he thinks it’s not solid or something), then a piece of walnut on top of the paper towel. Then I zero the kitchen scale and drop my caique on it. He’ll do his evil little laugh when he sees the walnut and stay still just long enough for the weight to register.

Though some day he just grabs the walnut and runs off cackling.

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
@WBCmom we give Blaze one or two small “blobs” of millet that I peel off the stem a few times a week currently - I got a tiny packet of it as a free sample after making a purchase. I got a kick out of watching him eat it for the first time because I had previously only seen budgies very carefully plucking each individual seed off, and Blaze just took the whole piece in his beak and crunched down like some deranged millet monster. He did slow down a bit to savor it after he realized it was tasty. He’s a big fan of it, purrs when he sees it, but I don’t really plan on making it a regular treat for him since there are healthier treats that he likes just as much.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

Pine nuts held above their head just barely out of reach then let them have the pine nut while you get their weight.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hi all! Hoping one of the resident caique experts could answer this. I’ve been curious about what age a caique is actually fully grown, because my little guy is quite small for a male caique (10 months old, usually 125-130 grams).
Definitely a smaller little guy. I don't know the exact time but for sure by two. I have two years olds that look adult size here but are bigger than the newly weaned babies.

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
Definitely a smaller little guy. I don't know the exact time but for sure by two. I have two years olds that look adult size here but are bigger than the newly weaned babies.
Good to know, thank you!

Now I’m kind of wondering if he’s going to have his big baby eyeballs forever. They’re adorable, so I sure wouldn’t mind! I know a few people who also have blackheaded caiques around his age and their eyes have all stared turning more red, but mine still has dark eyes that are huge and round. They’re only red if they catch direct sunlight or if he’s really, really excited. Weirdly enough though, those same caiques all still have yellow baby bellies, but mine has already molted most of his belly feathers and has nearly a pure white belly already.