• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When do small cockatoos go though there adolescence

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Hi I was interested in knowing when Galah cockatoo tend to change from sweetie babies to trying to be the boss's !
I know this is often a problem fore hand reared birds what I have never had I can't remember ever having any real problems with my Amazon but she was a lovely bird most of the time if you observing her mood .

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you bird is a female, you might never have a problem. I've never seen really bad personality changes in my female amazons or my female cockatoo. If its a male, you are more likely to see those changes. Galahs are known to sometimes mature a bit quicker than other species. I don't have a galah so I can't give specifics. I would think maybe as early as one year old. But probably more like 2-5 years old. It can vary quite a bit depending on individual and how bad that hormone year is. For some reason, some years are worse than others.

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the advice just came across 2 1/2 year old galah needed new home and was wondering if I would be seeing his adult behavior

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've heard of one year old galahs successfully nesting. I don't think its common, but it has been documented in captivity. Honestly, unless you get a bird so old it is arthritic, you will likely have to deal with hormone issues in one form or another. And even the old arthritic bird can show hormones and aggression. A 2.5 year old galah may very well have some hormones. But, if you get a baby, in a year or a few years, you'll have to deal with hormones. If you get a 10 year old bird, you'll have to deal with hormones. The first few years of hormones for most species tend to be the worst. But some individuals will settle into a difficult behavior pattern that can persist many years and be hard to break. So, its not like there is a huge advantage to getting a certain aged bird. Most females will solicit sex from you and you may have to deal with egg laying which can involve some health issues. But usually not. Most males will have some aggression which can be hard to get through. In my mind, its less a matter of will it show hormones and more a matter of which type of hormone behavior do you prefer. If getting bit and chased around the house is a turn off for you, get a girl bird. If egg laying scares you, get a boy. If you don't like either, get a dog.

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Thanks fore the information I was just interested to know as I understand there can be a bigger change with had reared birds changing personality and I have only ever had parent reared birds

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My Too is a Goffin, not a Galah, but she is one of the small ones.
I saw hormones about at 8 years old, not bad and only sporadic behavior outbursts.
My birds are all late bloomers.
I did see youthful changes that dealt with challenging behavior, kind of like rebelling teens.
That was around 2-4 years for her.
Never saw much change in my zon, huge ones in my macaw.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I have a male galah named Russell Peck Boogertoo. I got him in 2011 as a 9 month old, so he is now about 10 years old. I do not know if he was hand raised or parent raised, but I assume hand raised. A friend bought him and her other cockatoo didn't like having him around and refused to come out of her cage or talk. She only had him for a month. She knew that I wanted a galah so sold him to me.

I have never had any bad hormonal issues with him or my other birds for that matter. He is a little grumpier, a little louder, a bit more clingy, and a little bit nippier. Nothing that is not tolerable, nothing excessive. On a scale of 1-10 ( loudness, nippiness, clinginess) if his normal is about a 4 his hormonal is about a 6. He is loud and screaming 5 or 6 times a day for maybe 10-15 minutes each. When hormonal it may be 6 or 7 times a day for 20 minutes. Nippy ( not full strength bites) maybe 2 or 3 times a day up to 4-5 times a day. I have only been really bitten with bruises or broken skin maybe 5 times since I got him
He is generally a love and will do nearly anything for a kiss. He is not very treat motivated when it comes to training but kisses work very well. Don't get me wrong. He is not an easy bird but he isn't a holy terror either. Not even during hormones.

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
I have a hard question for you I can see you have quite the flock of birds which one Has stolen the biggest part of your heart .
I feel sorry fore the bird that start up this thread his only 2 and 1/2 and he's in his second home and looking for his third one with only good thing said about the bird came from shop 1st owner broke up second family are moving and wouldn't have room for his cage in new one .
My wife isn't ready for a new bird in the house so soon after my Amazon passing where as I feel it would help me but with the government lockdown in the uk its not really possible to visit privet sellers so we couldn't meet the too and let its love change my wife's mind for me .

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
That is indeed a hard question. Each bird is different and I love them all. If I had to down size I would be at a loss. I don't know that I could choose.