• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When a sale isn't a sale .. bit of a rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well .. it's that time of year ....

The craziness, the black hole, the frenzy of .. oh no .. BLACK FRIDAY!!

I'm a hard core internet shopper. It's rare that I buy things retail .. I'm a shopper .. but instead of driving for the deals, I use Google and my trusty little mouse to point and click me to what I want at the best prices.

Well, of course I've been getting bombarded with e-mails about "sales" .. esp. from bird/pet sites.

I keep a running "wish list" of things I want, whether for me, the house, the birds .. etc. I track who has the best price on the item, and watch for sales.

Well .. lol .. last night I got an e-mail from a pretty well known bird supply site .. advertising 15% off everything, including clearance items. They had two things I've been wanting, and both have been in their clearance section for months. I kept watching to see if they'd get any cheaper, since it's something I'd want to get for all my fids, and even on clearance .. would add up.

So I figured ... "Cool, those things I wanted were on clearance, and now they'll be an additional 15% off .. time to buy".

Well, wouldn't you know it .. went to the items, which were still on clearance .. and guess what? The prices had been bumped up!! The clearance price was $15.95 .. now .. it's $19.95. Hmmm ... so basically, they raised their price to cover their sale margins. It wasn't just those items .. it was quite a few things that I know the original prices of. Seems like, almost across the board, they raised their prices by 15% to cover their 15% off sale .. so really, no sale.

I sent them a none too nice e-mail about it. How "padding prices" to cover a sale doesn't really work these days. There are other people out there like me, who do pay attention to pricing.

Told them, they just lost a fairly frequent shopper, and that being a member of several bird related forums, I'd be sure to let folks know that their sale is really BS.

Now, of course I won't mention the name of the store .. I'm not stupid enough to do that publicly .. but if anyone wants to know who NOT to be spending money with .. you can PM me.

They're not the first place I've caught doing this .. and it's really frustrating that places just can't offer a real sale anymore.

Anyway .. just had to rant.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Bad business right there. I would like to know who they are. Pm me :)

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
That stinks and it's a bad practice.

Ginger

The Wooden Parrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
I LOVE buying things on sale and clearence, it's the only way my tight buget can fit in goodies but oh yes, you do have to watch. I to would like to know which store that was. I like to shop on line for sales but you also have to watch out for shipping, that can end up really adding on to the cost.

iggysbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Stephanie
I know what you mean. I HATE stores that do that. Not only do a lot of online stores do it but so do a lot of your department, clothing, electronic or other types of stores in general. It is a really bad practice!!:mad:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
that is as bad as the ones that say "free" just pay shipping and handling - sorry if i am forking over any money it is NOT FREE!

iggysbirds

Real Name
Stephanie
LOL And then they say the shipping is like $6.95 when it only costs them one stamp to send it:p

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
LOL And then they say the shipping is like $6.95 when it only costs them one stamp to send it:p

exactly

or the info commercials - Buy one get one"free" just pay shipping..... sorry but shipping isn't going to go up that much on most of those things(they're light weight) by placing them in the same box

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I got a set of knives off TV one time, wonderful knives, never order from TV before or after but I could hardly get the gal off the phone she wanted to add this or that. I finally got a little snippy with her and asked could I please just have the knives? And the handling charges kill me, that means someone put it in a box and they want to charge you as much as shipping! Oh but wait, I forgot, its free!

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I got a set of knives off TV one time, wonderful knives, never order from TV before or after but I could hardly get the gal off the phone she wanted to add this or that. I finally got a little snippy with her and asked could I please just have the knives? And the handling charges kill me, that means someone put it in a box and they want to charge you as much as shipping! Oh but wait, I forgot, its free!

I hate companies that do that...... the cable company is a good one for doing it. and they went as far as adding things to my package and NEVER TOLD ME i went the 1st 8 months or so with out even knowing I had the stuff yet paid for it monthly :mad:

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Or the credit card companies who call and talk so fast you can't understand what they are even saying! Of course if a credit card company is calling you, it WILL cost you money lol.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Or the credit card companies who call and talk so fast you can't understand what they are even saying! Of course if a credit card company is calling you, it WILL cost you money lol.

lol so true, glad i don't have any . any time i get their junk in the mail I throw it out I already KNOW i'm Pre-approved yet get denied. Gotta have credit to get credit cards LOL

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
wish i could get things shipped that cheap for canada its anywhere from $35.00 up and custome to id be crazy to shop the internet even if i had a credit card

iggysbirds

Real Name
Stephanie
wish i could get things shipped that cheap for canada its anywhere from $35.00 up and custome to id be crazy to shop the internet even if i had a credit card
Oh my gosh I can't believe it is so high there.:eek: I just shipped a big box of toys out to someone in I believe Quebec (I would have to check) and it was only like $12.95 and that was shipping from Missouri (US)!!

Status
Not open for further replies.