• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Whats your unrealistic dream bird?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Major Mitchell's cockatoo. It's unrealistic because I don't think I could ever provide a cockatoo with the attention they require. And they are so loud!! But they are so beautiful! If I was extremely wealthy and had a large outdoor aviary I would have to have one!
My friend has one. They are so beautiful. Hers is also a terror. I am not saying they all are- just this one in particular. The first time I met him he was running around my feet- I said, very excitedly, Oh! Does that mean he likes me? Her answer: No. LOL

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
LOL every bird that was mentioned I thought "Oh I want one of those!" Hawkheads are amazing. Years ago I saw one in real life. He turned and looked at me and then raised his crest and I almost died. Same with a toucan. One lived at a local pet store decades ago and I was enraptured. Clearly God and Mother Nature have an incredible sense of humor. But what do I really want? I think an enormous aviary with a large variety of small birds that live in harmony. Definitely some gouldian finches. Ooh, javas too. I would sit in the center and see who came to visit.
Plz don't remind me!! I mentioned in a thread few days ago that a breeder is downsizing his flock. He has a hawk head and toucan also:crycry:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Plz don't remind me!! I mentioned in a thread few days ago that a breeder is downsizing his flock. He has a hawk head and toucan also:crycry:
A Hawkhead!!!! So jealous, wish I could come and snap him up.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I've answered threads like this before, but it would absolutely be an American Kestrel (in the context of licensed falconry). It's unrealistic because 1) apprenticing to a falconer is nearly impossible with a full-time job, something I can't forgo, and 2) it was made illegal (for some valid reasons, but still frustrating) for apprentices to start with a Kestrel in the state of Florida.

The biggest attraction to falconry for me is that you can literally serve as a partner (much in the ways ravens and wolves are partners) to a raptor during its most vulnerable stage of life, while also connecting to an ancient tradition. If pursued diligently and correctly, you are both enjoying the partnership of a bird of prey and contributing to the health of a species by improving the bird's chances to breed.

I really can't imagine bringing a larger parrot into my home (as much as I've read about Greys and had the thought, "what if I never have children and could pour all of that same love and education into a bird..."), because I can't imagine giving the budgies less of my time or less free reign over the space. Any feathered addition I imagine is a different species that would occupy a different ~domestic ecological niche~, as it were-- chickens, button quail, a raptor.

Last edited:

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I am a long time player of D&D and I just joined a fresh campaign and I have a companion heron. Magically imbued of course!
I am currently playing a halfling-sized, skink-inspired Lizardfolk, but I have a yellow-crowned heron monk (of the Way of the Long Death, because herons have not forgotten they are dinosaurs) ready to goooooo.

Ljuba

Moving in
If we're talking "not happening anytime soon" unrealistic, I choose an indian ringneck, which I consider a definite possibility but nothing I can take on in the next few years...

"Only if I become a zookeeper" unrealistic? Then I'd have to say a horde of vultures.

"Straight-up fantasy" unrealistic? A black chocobo from final fantasy!

Kelpie067

Meeting neighbors
My extremely unrealistic dream bird? Any kind of owl, I love them! I have learned that I am not good at procuring and feeding things mice/rats though, so that alone takes me out as an owl keeper, lol.

I’d also love a chocobo, any color but black is very pretty!