• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Whats your unrealistic dream bird?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My unrealistic dream bird is one that picks up after themselves and knows to tone things down when I hold my finger up to my lips and gently, "shhh".
I share your dream.....

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to have an Avian D&D character that was modeled after a lammergeier :heart:
I had a D&D one-shot character who was a vulture :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My unrealistic dream bird is one that picks up after themselves and knows to tone things down when I hold my finger up to my lips and gently, "shhh".
If you ever find one please let me know where you found it IMMEDIATELY!

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Your job? Where in Aus is there a Toucan?? I so want to see a real live toucan!
I work as part of the Australian Conservation Society, and for a little while we got a toucan passed through to us when he was going somewhere else.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I had a D&D one-shot character who was a vulture :D
I am a long time player of D&D and I just joined a fresh campaign and I have a companion heron. Magically imbued of course!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If I had to vote for a dream bird, it would be a dream space. I am becoming more and more engrossed with all psittacula parrots. If I had a massive indoor/outdoor aviary I would adopt all of them! The sweet alexes, the chatty IRNs, the calm plummies, the serious derbys... the list goes on. They are charming in personalities and vocalisations.

I do sometimes imagine if I had rural property I could live with turkeys, guinea fowl and peafowl... but I am unsure this will ever happen! I also tell my partner we should adopt donkeys and camels!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I had to vote for a dream bird, it would be a dream space. I am becoming more and more engrossed with all psittacula parrots. If I had a massive indoor/outdoor aviary I would adopt all of them! The sweet alexes, the chatty IRNs, the calm plummies, the serious derbys... the list goes on. They are charming in personalities and vocalisations.
Yes!! :iagree:
(don't ask why I want that when I don't have any psittacula experiance... yet!)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well...

The thread title did say 'unrealistic dream bird'. :laugh:

Spiceopods

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Spicy Isopods System
Definitely a galah, here! We used to live with and birdy-sit a delightful rescue galah who we absolutely fell in love with. There's no way we could actually have a galah -- they're a bit too big and a lot too loud for apartments (the only housing we can afford). But hey, we can dream!

~Deyan

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I suppose someday I would love to have a bird(s) who really enjoyed my company. Not cuddly per se, but at least thinks of me as more than the food vending machine.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not unrealistic as they are rare or expensive but time and room makes it unrealistic as i would need another room to keep them in, i would love a pair of white belly caiques.

Jojosbigsi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Karen Hussey
My dream for nearly 40 years was to own 2 Hyacinth McCaws. So, I answered this lady called CHRISTABEL who all her ads on Kijiji say she’s from Kitchener Ont……turns out the story was that they’ve relocated to Halifax Canada…..and her mom had died and left a pair of hyacinths, with their cage, toys etc. she said every time she looked at them, it reminded her of the loss of her mom. She said she would ship from Halifax to Ontario.that’s a one day road trip. Canada sucks in regards to bird world. We can’t bring parrots or eggs in from USA. I was so excited about these beautiful birds. I heard nothing for about a week and a half…then she writes me a note asking if shipping company had contacted me. Nope!……next thing I hear is from shipping company, who apparently have my birds, but needed $$$ to fly them to Toronto, then road trip for over 3 hours from airport. I looked up the shipping company on line, they’re international…..they took every credit card including WALMART card, but not Visa or Mastercard……hmmmm……

‘’anytime I contacted shipping company, I got the same answer…..waiting for $$…..I finally wrote them an email saying I didn’t believe them. Were they in possession of birds or not? Who was caring for them? Finally I told them I wanted pictures to prove they had them. Needless to say, they never got their money, and I heard nothing more from CHRISTABEL or shipping company. What a scam. I learned this….on Safari to put their phone numbers in search bar and it would tell you where they’re calling from. Another guy who said he was from GTA had Hyacinths……so cheap,you know that old expression….he said he was returning my call from Toronto, but putting his number in search bar, it said New York. He also could supply EVERY PARROT KNOWN TO MAN!….but you can’t bring them over the border.

so, know your country’s laws on import/export of birds! I could have saved a lot of heartache and $$$ had I had this info first. I guess they figure all our birds will be inbred in a few years…no new blood. Now I’m on the hunt for Amazons, Scarlett McCaws or blue and golds……I used to breed many small parrots and cockatoos, but had to sell everything when it was apparent my youngest son was extremely allergic to birds. He’s married now in a home of his own, so I’m pretty safe To begin again. That’s why Hyacinths are perfect….they dont produce powder or oils (they don’t have the glands)…..so it’s like having a dog that doesn’t shed. Live and learn.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My dream for nearly 40 years was to own 2 Hyacinth McCaws. So, I answered this lady called CHRISTABEL who all her ads on Kijiji say she’s from Kitchener Ont……turns out the story was that they’ve relocated to Halifax Canada…..and her mom had died and left a pair of hyacinths, with their cage, toys etc. she said every time she looked at them, it reminded her of the loss of her mom. She said she would ship from Halifax to Ontario.that’s a one day road trip. Canada sucks in regards to bird world. We can’t bring parrots or eggs in from USA. I was so excited about these beautiful birds. I heard nothing for about a week and a half…then she writes me a note asking if shipping company had contacted me. Nope!……next thing I hear is from shipping company, who apparently have my birds, but needed $$$ to fly them to Toronto, then road trip for over 3 hours from airport. I looked up the shipping company on line, they’re international…..they took every credit card including WALMART card, but not Visa or Mastercard……hmmmm……

‘’anytime I contacted shipping company, I got the same answer…..waiting for $$…..I finally wrote them an email saying I didn’t believe them. Were they in possession of birds or not? Who was caring for them? Finally I told them I wanted pictures to prove they had them. Needless to say, they never got their money, and I heard nothing more from CHRISTABEL or shipping company. What a scam. I learned this….on Safari to put their phone numbers in search bar and it would tell you where they’re calling from. Another guy who said he was from GTA had Hyacinths……so cheap,you know that old expression….he said he was returning my call from Toronto, but putting his number in search bar, it said New York. He also could supply EVERY PARROT KNOWN TO MAN!….but you can’t bring them over the border.

so, know your country’s laws on import/export of birds! I could have saved a lot of heartache and $$$ had I had this info first. I guess they figure all our birds will be inbred in a few years…no new blood. Now I’m on the hunt for Amazons, Scarlett McCaws or blue and golds……I used to breed many small parrots and cockatoos, but had to sell everything when it was apparent my youngest son was extremely allergic to birds. He’s married now in a home of his own, so I’m pretty safe To begin again. That’s why Hyacinths are perfect….they dont produce powder or oils (they don’t have the glands)…..so it’s like having a dog that doesn’t shed. Live and learn.
There is a lot to unpack in this post, I will skip over some things this time around. I will just say, it was smart to not fall for a scam.

If you are looking for a bird, you could always see if there are any at a rescue that you connect with.

BirdyGirly

Meeting neighbors
Cape parrot. There were a few untamed female capes in my area recently going for $4,500, and there currently is an untamed male going for $2,500. All were raised as breeders.

I have the space, but the cost is beyond what I should be spending.
…Ugh, the prices have shot up even higher since this was first posted. Apparently, there is a shortage of birds to begin with, and Capes, as you probably know, are pretty rare. We are getting a female today, and I did not even ask what the total was - I just gave my credit card number! Ha!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
LOL every bird that was mentioned I thought "Oh I want one of those!" Hawkheads are amazing. Years ago I saw one in real life. He turned and looked at me and then raised his crest and I almost died. Same with a toucan. One lived at a local pet store decades ago and I was enraptured. Clearly God and Mother Nature have an incredible sense of humor. But what do I really want? I think an enormous aviary with a large variety of small birds that live in harmony. Definitely some gouldian finches. Ooh, javas too. I would sit in the center and see who came to visit.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Major Mitchell's cockatoo. It's unrealistic because I don't think I could ever provide a cockatoo with the attention they require. And they are so loud!! But they are so beautiful! If I was extremely wealthy and had a large outdoor aviary I would have to have one!

rabbitic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tommy (they/he)
if i could have any bird in the world, it would probably be a crow or raven. they're such beautiful birds, and my ma has always kept paintings of them around the house so i have sort of a nostalgic attachment to them. i'd also love to own an african grey, but seeing as i'm a college student in a major that requires a lot of manual labor i know i wouldn't be able to handle one. my starling already has me developing early grey hairs!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am semi-obsessed with Vasas.