• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's your experience with amphotericin B?

BrightSong

Checking out the neighborhood
Did your Bird ever went through treatment with Amphotericin B orally? What for?

For how long? What spices is your bird?
How did they handle it? Did you run into any problems?

If your bird ever went through this treatment I'd really appreciate it if you could answer to this in the comments. Since amphotericin B seems to be the only option left for my bird to treat a very rare and difficult to treat yeast infection, and the treatment would probably be long (1-2 months, maybe more).

But this is the most toxic antifungal there is. Plus the oral absorption is poor and inconsistent. But this dangerous medication seems to be the only option left.

At this point, the only drugs left to work are voriconazole and amphotericin B. The rest of the antifungals either never worked to begin with or she has developed resistance. In my country (Spain) I haven't been able to find voriconazole anywhere, since it's for human hospital only. This would be the treatment of choice but vet can't get it, and even labs seem not to have the compound so it's a lost cause. The only one left would be amphotericin B.

I really would like to hear your experiences about this before deciding on a treatment. But it doesn't seem to be any other option left really.
More like what to expect. I've only read in veterinary books that people use it to treat "mega bacteria" and for shorts amounts of time (10-30 days tops).

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
bump

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Sorry no direct experience

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
My budgies were on ampho for several months. It’s been several years since then so I can’t remember exactly how many months - about 3? Here’s a thread with some details about my budgies’ experience with it Should I treat AGY (Avian Gastric Yeast) if there are no symptoms?? and some great advice from experienced members on this forum.

I never updated that thread, but what the vet and I ended up doing was to give a diluted dose because my budgies were having such a tough go at full strength. We kept going until the AGY was eliminated.

Hope this helps?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wait @Lady Jane did your babies have to go on this?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My experience was about 7 or 8 years ago i was fairly new to english budgies back then.The first two budgies were male and female from a breeder. I noticed the male was spewing clear liquid all over the cage so off to the avian vet we went. The vet looked under his microscope at a slide he made from samples obtained from the crop. He said there were heavy yeast seen. We went right away to the ampho by syringe. At 30 days we went back for a check. In the meantime i tried other things like a thyme tea. The treatment was not effective. So more ampho. Bird was then having significant weight loss. He was in the wasting stage. He looked terrible. I decided to end all treatments. He died peacefully.

A few years after that i got another male budgie. This time i knew more about yeast in birds and its symptoms. This bird started to do the open and closing of the beak as if to swallow. He too had yeast in crop but not heavy. Vet prescribed 2 weeks of ampho with a recheck. This time he was negative for yeast. Then i put ACV in drinking water once a month.

Strange thing the female budgies never got any yeast despite it being contagious.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I treated my Blue and Gold with AMP B for a bit over a month. It was pretty bad and it made him very sick. We were treating Avian Gastric Yeast. At one point I felt the meds would kill him before the AGY but we had the vet add meds to help with his vomiting.

Can I ask what are you treating? I've used voraconzole many times, no issues with that one.