• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent What's wrong with my tiel?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The vet noticed quite a few things that I somehow didn't! As it turns out, despite eating like a horse, my cockatiel is very skinny. Whatever the matter is, it's somehow impacting his ability to put on weight. His crop was full, but his abdomen was super thin. His heartbeat was also oddly muffled when she listened to it, though the rhythm was normal.
The fecal analysis showed a very slight excess of bacteria, but was otherwise clear. Unfortunately, the Vetscan at the office couldn't read his blood due to the small amount that was drawn, so it had to be sent into a separate lab. I'll have to wait to find out the verdict. But for now, I've got recovery formula, HEALx booster, amino B-plex, bene-bac powder, and fluid therapy to give him for the next ten days until his follow-up, and hopefully the results from his blood test will come in quickly.

Last edited:

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
The vet noticed quite a few things that I somehow didn't! As it turns out, despite eating like a horse, my cockatiel is very skinny. Whatever the matter is, it's somehow impacting his ability to put on weight.
The fecal analysis showed a very slight excess of bacteria, but was otherwise clear. Unfortunately, the Vetscan at the office couldn't read his blood due to the small amount that was drawn, so it had to be sent into a separate lab. I'll have to wait to find out the verdict. But for now, I've got recovery formula, HEALx booster, amino B-plex, bene-bac powder, and fluid therapy to give him for the next ten days until his follow-up, and hopefully the results from his blood test will come in quickly.

Glad you at least got some things to help. Hopefully you'll get more answers soon. <3

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that the vet is able to diagnose the problem and that it will be resolved and he will be well again.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope he can put on some weight & the Dr figures out the problem.

Budgies & tiels eat seed in the wild.

Have you tried broccoli, hot peppers, peas, corn. Even oatmeal & brown rice.
Try anything & everything you eat as long as its bird safe. He might enjoy eating more when he sees you eating.

Goo dLuck

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope whatever the underlying problem is, it is easily treated. I'll keep your sweet birdie in my thoughts. Let us know what the lab results say!