• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Whats wrong with his poop?

Scorpi0

Sprinting down the street
I'm wishing you luck with your new veterinarian.

The only time my budgies poop have been abnormal is when I accepted an escape budgie who's owner wasn't found. That brought chlamydia into my flock and all my birds got sick( some life-threatening)

Their poops looked a little like yours , but did have the classic bright green urine if chlamydia. It took 45 days of doxy , then a relapse and 45 more dsys of doxycycline to clear.

It could be chlamydia is a possibility with yours. Other antibiotics can temporarily make it seem better if it is this. But to cure them takes the extended doxycycline. We ended up going the added to water route for the budgies. And its important to treat the whole flock. And extensive cleaning, my vet had me spray dilute bleach before cleaning to minimize aerosol .

Anyway I hope answers are found .I will watch your thread
Wow Im glad u got that figured out and taken care of. I hope thats not the case with my bird. The vet had already sent his poop sample in to get tested and all they found was 2 types of bacteria in it. Wouldn’t the test have detected if it was chlamydia?

Winn

Jogging around the block
Wouldn’t the test have detected if it was chlamydia?
From what I've read Chlamydia can go through a "dormant phase" where a bird is still infected and can infect other birds but is not shedding Chlamydia in its poop. Chlamydia can re-activate after a few weeks and the bird will shed it again. The "poop test" can be hit or miss I think when it comes to diagnosing.
I hope your flock is doing ok and things are back to normal soon.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Winn is correct. Poop unlikely to be a good test or catch the chlamydia.

Its a weird disease. Periods of hiding in organs and dormancy and intermittent shedding. Some burds are carriers and never show clinical signs. Some birds its dormant for years, then a stress on the burds body , changing homes, a bad molt, another illness, nutritional stress, and it can activate and make the bird sick. Hits hardest on just weaned chicks, or sudden death in young chick's, and older birds. But can be deadly at any age. But chronic low grade is also common. People who have burds get "sinus infections" every winter should consider this as possibility.

Scorpi0

Just another update:

The vet called yesterday and said they had an open spot so I took Chirpie in to get checked out.
She did a gram stain of his poop and said it contains about 10 to 20% of bad bacteria. She prescribed a stronger antibiotic (Clavamox) to be administered twice a day for a period of ten days. (My poor Chirpie is gonna hate me :(). She said this antibiotic is more directed to the type of bacteria thats currently in Chirpie’s system.
The vet also sent out another poop sample to the lab to get tested for avian gastric yeast. Results should be back in a few days.
Im gonna start the antibiotics on Saturday. Lets hope for the best!!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Scorpio, im definitely wishing you guys the best and speedy recovery.
Smart to check for AVG.

Come on Chirpie get better!

Scorpi0

So its been a few days and just wanted to update:

After the first few days of giving Chirpie his antibiotics, his pooped started to look better. By the last day it was looking normal again. But after 2 days of being off the antibiotics, his poop went right back to being watery again.

In the next few days Im only gonna feed him seeds and nothing else, just to see if maybe it has to do with his food. If it doesnt improve, I guess I’ll be calling the vet again. :meh:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm wishing you a good outcome.

Scorpi0

Just another update: I have been feeding my flock only seeds with occasional roasted sunflower seeds as a treat, and Chirpie’s droppings seem to have gone back to normal. :)

Im gonna be out of town for the next few days so my in-laws are taking care of the birds til I get back. Im gonna slowly add pellets to their diet again and hopefully everything stays normal.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Pk buy now his poops are back to being watery? Darn it...
Great job in sharing pictures!!

You've done do great seeking veterinarian care. Did you let them know the poops went bak to watery after antibiotics? Sometimes it takes longer to clear stuff
....ugh I'm on my 4th round of antibiotics for myself as a human with a tricky kidney infection ..

Scorpi0

Pk buy now his poops are back to being watery? Darn it...
Great job in sharing pictures!!

You've done do great seeking veterinarian care. Did you let them know the poops went bak to watery after antibiotics? Sometimes it takes longer to clear stuff
....ugh I'm on my 4th round of antibiotics for myself as a human with a tricky kidney infection ..
Its almost like this random cycle. His poops will start looking more and more normal. And then one day it just goes back to being watery. Nothing changed in his diet.

I havent contacted the vet again after the antibiotics. I fear if I take him in theyre just gonna put him on another round of antibiotics and it will break my heart to have to put him through that torture again. He hates it!!! The poops dont seem to be affecting him though…he’s still seems very happy and active.

And yes…infections suck! But 4th round?? That thing knows how to hide!!

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
He has a slime in poops, maybe a bacteiral infection. THis urine is not normal, it should be checked, despite it is from the last year. His kidneys are burdened.