• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

whats up with juls?

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
hi all
so we have a beautiful budgie named Julie, but she has taken a turn for the worst. She has lost her flight feathers and (had) lost her tail feathers but they grew back. when you hold her (rather chalanging as she is untame) feathers go flying everywhere! She hasn't been able to fly for quite some time now.
we've taken her to the (avian qualified) vet twice and both times they said we should wait and see. Both avian vets said that they don't think it is french molt, but we haven't tested her for french yet. She's been like this since the beginning of the year (i think...)

Do you know what's wrong with her?
Have you had a similar experience, and how did it turn out/what did you do?

here are 2 pic's --->

(right-click to open links please)
thanks for all your help, juls means a lot to me!
LittleBird:roflmao:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are her droppings normal? What is her diet like? (I'm unable to open the pics for some reason.) I hope she's okay.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
diet is seeds (yeah, i know, we supplement with veggies and occasionally vitamins) I'm not sure about her poop, I'll see soon though.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If she's not tame when you handle her, and feathers "fly", it's no surprise... birds can drop certain feathers if they are in a fight or flight response. This is typically tail and wing feathers.

That said, it sounds like you should test for "french molt" and get some bloodwork or something done to ensure she's healthy.