• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's the right formula dosage for a 4-week cockatiel

MaggieBee

Meeting neighbors
Ok, I've had Pearl, a four-week-old cockatiel, for a little over 36 hours, so I've gotten to feed her 5 times already. The breeder told me to feed her 4cc of formula at each feeding – 3 times a day – but she always seems unsatisfied after (she screeches like a dinosaur, which is very cute, but also somewhat concerning).

She will chase the syringe until I put it away, and when I feel her crop, while I can feel it slightly swollen, it's not round and firm like every resource says it's supposed to be.

Should I be feeding her more? I've seen charts recommend 4cc, and I've seen others recommend 11cc, and needless to say I'm confused :shrug:

(She's not yet interested in the millet, pellets and veggies I leave out for her, though she'll give an offered pellet a good chew before spitting it back out)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How much does she weigh?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You absolutely have to go by her weight, otherwise you overfeed and stretch the crop or underfeed and risk an unhealthy baby.

You can grab a scale at most supermarkets or Walmart.

I wouldn't expect her at 4 weeks to eat the other foods yet - maybe next week. You can soak the millet to make it a little easier for her.

Don't forget, now that you asked our advice you have to share pics of your baby! :D

MaggieBee

Meeting neighbors
You absolutely have to go by her weight, otherwise you overfeed and stretch the crop or underfeed and risk an unhealthy baby.

You can grab a scale at most supermarkets or Walmart.

I wouldn't expect her at 4 weeks to eat the other foods yet - maybe next week. You can soak the millet to make it a little easier for her.

Don't forget, now that you asked our advice you have to share pics of your baby! :D
Thank you! What should be the relation between weight and dosage?

And I have! It's right here: https://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/meet-baby-pearl.261396/#post-3447664

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What should be the relation between weight and dosage?
10%
It´s important to weigh your bird daily, because she should be gaining weight daily, meaning a slightly bigger feed, even if only by 0.1CC
Weigh her when her crop is empty completely.