• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's the rationale behind this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bedtime is always or most often a mild struggle with Mabel. It is the one time that she becomes extremely stubborn and non cooperative. She'd rather not go to bed even though she is extremely sleepy etc.

If a hand is presented to her, she'll bite if she becomes irritated enough.

If a step up stick is presented, she'll resist for a few seconds and then she'll step up and even stretch while she's on the perch.:huh:

Why bite the hand but obey the stick?

Suchabetty

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jamie
Hmm interesting predicament :confused: Maybe because the stick doesnt give her the reaction she wants ....Stick equals boring, hand equals entertainment. I dont know Betty has never refused a step up ever. Im sure someone here has a better explanation as im still learning about macs and only have my cockatiel :heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don't know any kids that like to go to bed without putting up a fuss!! She knows darn well what comes next after step up. She has learned by association. If you always go directly to the cage and lock her in after that step up you need to change that and break the association.

Why bite the hand but obey the stick?
The stick doesn't flinch/pull back/react when she gives it the beak. Unlike your arm. :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Elvis is pretty much the same way at bedtime. I chalk it up to mac stubbornness, and I just use the stick when I mean business. She's well aware of this. So, most of the time, bedtime=stick. Simple as that. Of course, she gets a treat when she's back in her cage. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know any kids that like to go to bed without putting up a fuss!! She knows darn well what comes next after step up. She has learned by association. If you always go directly to the cage and lock her in after that step up you need to change that and break the association.

The stick doesn't flinch/pull back/react when she gives it the beak. Unlike your arm. :)
Will have to be the stick from now on. I offered her a pine nut for stepping up on the stick and she was pleased.:D

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Elvis is pretty much the same way at bedtime. I chalk it up to mac stubbornness, and I just use the stick when I mean business. She's well aware of this. So, most of the time, bedtime=stick. Simple as that. Of course, she gets a treat when she's back in her cage. :)
Mac stubborness only rears its head at bedtime..:hehe:

Almost like she's a different birdie..:eek::D

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mac stubborness only rears its head at bedtime..:hehe:

Almost like she's a different birdie..:eek::D
I know what you mean! Ms. E has been known to be stubborn at other times too, but bedtime is definitely not her best moment :D

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I tell you Holiday, good thing Mabel is only like this at bedtime otherwise I would have found a way to ship her to Ohio.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.