• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's the function of this part of a feather?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sorry for so many questions, not even really expecting an answer, but I wonder why only the Quaker, Senegal , RFM and male Princess parrots have it? It's just fascinating to me!

No idea! I honestly thought it was unique to quakers until I was looking into it! It's odd that only Senegals would have them and not other poicephalus!

Wow! :geek: I have both a quaker and a senegal -- Im going to check this out! Thanks @Mizzely and @CrazyBirdChick for bringing this to our attention!

Oh yes I would love to see if the Senegal has them, especially since I didn't realize they did!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Thanks for finding that, Shawna! I haven't had time to look. But, a few weeks ago I was looking up the alula as it's really pronounced on my conure :

20190829_114809.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Hmmm... maybe this is a case of convergent evolution? It's when nature develops a similar trait in animals that live far apart. Each species needed the extra maneuverability for something.

I also think it's interesting when you see an evolutionary trait that is going extinct, but you still see remnants of it in the animal.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Hmmm... maybe this is a case of convergent evolution? It's when nature develops a similar trait in animals that live far apart. Each species needed the extra maneuverability for something.

I also think it's interesting when you see an evolutionary trait that is going extinct, but you still see remnants of it in the animal.
But don't all birds share a common ancestor, despite where the modern species may live in the planet?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My point being I think they're all descended from dinosaurs and it looks like other birds have something similar. Birds are fascinating, biologically, I had no idea until recently how incredibly complex they are!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
But don't all birds share a common ancestor, despite where the modern species may live in the planet?

Of course they probably do, but it would go back all the way to therapods in the Jurassic era... Evolution will find ways to diversify, especially when separated by continents. These guys also share a common ancestor, and are some of the most closely related animals on the planet.

(Rock hyrax and african elephant)

elephants-rock-hyrax.jpg.1000x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
It's basically nature's way of filling a niche. Animals that live in similar environments often have similar evolutionary "solutions" to survival (like fins and wings).

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was all quite interesting! Now I have to look @ Buddy's wings again. Maybe hubby can help me get a few pics because I swear he had a few of these but maybe when I looked I remembered it wrong.
:bash: Can this help my memory?

Shawna, I swear your the queen :queen:of birdy research & answers when we're stumped!

*Hats off to you!*

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's possible other species have this trait as well but it hasn't been well documented.

Here's another interesting feather... at least to me. Jayde, Red Throated Conure (RIP) Third flight feather in, it tapers off at the end

I haven't noticed any of my other birds with a feather like this... other conures included.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The "Guide to the Quaker Parrot" by Mattie Sue Athan says, "ornithologists call this unusual feather shape 'notching' or 'emargination'. These feathers facilitate slow flight, maneuverability, hovering, and backward flight." Other species that have this feature are senegal parrots, red fronted macaws, and male princess parrots.
Thank you!I love learning new birdie info!