• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's the function of this part of a feather?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sorry this feather is a little messy looking. It dropped on the ground and then got swept and then messed with so I hope you can still see what I'm trying to show.

20190828_094205.jpg
I have always been curious about that jagged little edge that sticks out on the side towards the end. I believe only one feather on each wing has that. Does anyone know the reason for it? Does it help in flight or something?

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I’m not sure it has a function. Might be a little generic quirk. Jasper doesn’t have them and Gilbert only has a few feathers that do it. On Gilbert it’s not jagged, but rounded and smooth.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I’m not sure it has a function. Might be a little generic quirk. Jasper doesn’t have them and Gilbert only has a few feathers that do it. On Gilbert it’s not jagged, but rounded and smooth.
Wow, really? That's interesting! I thought all birds (or atleast Quakers) had atleast one

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Well where is the feather from, wing? Looks like a flight. What kind of bird do you have?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
P6 looks like it. And given where it's located I'm sure it has a function. I'd have to research though, which I'm a science nerd, so I'd love to!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
P6 looks like it. And given where it's located I'm sure it has a function. I'd have to research though, which I'm a science nerd, so I'd love to!
If you do research I'd love to hear your thoughts! My guess would be that the "hook" (that's a great term for it Keri!) Catches on to the next primary feather to eliminate gaps when flying. Just my guess

Feather hook dude
That looks exactly like Blu's before I ruffled it up! :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It's not just one feather either, 2 or 3 on each side, and the other flight feathers have a smaller hook on the top side and not the bottom.
Oh, cool! I don't think Blu has that many! Maybe he does but I've never seen them and I don't feel comfortable spreading his wings to get a better look

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The "Guide to the Quaker Parrot" by Mattie Sue Athan says, "ornithologists call this unusual feather shape 'notching' or 'emargination'. These feathers facilitate slow flight, maneuverability, hovering, and backward flight." Other species that have this feature are senegal parrots, red fronted macaws, and male princess parrots.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
The "Guide to the Quaker Parrot" by Mattie Sue Athan says, "ornithologists call this unusual feather shape 'notching' or 'emargination'. These feathers facilitate slow flight, maneuverability, hovering, and backward flight." Other species that have this feature are senegal parrots, red fronted macaws, and male princess parrots.
:worthy: You are queen of research! Thank you so much! That's amazing!!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Wow! :geek: I have both a quaker and a senegal -- Im going to check this out! Thanks @Mizzely and @CrazyBirdChick for bringing this to our attention!