• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's the best way to preserve parrot body before Necropsy procedure?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't mean to upset anyone. Just want to know so I am prepared if the situation arises.
:huh:
Is it best to place the body in a plastic bag and then in the fridge OR the freezer? That part has never been very clear to me.

Thanks in advance.:cool:

Rabbit

Walking the driveway
I would reccomend placing the body in a very, very heavy duty freezer bag, and vacuum sealing it. They sell little hand held vacuum sealers and appropriate bags in various places. The less air, moisture, and heat, the less the body will deteriorate.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When Mojo passed away I wrapper her in a towel and put her in the fridge, but her necropsy was the next morning so she was in there less than 10 hours.

Rabbit

Walking the driveway
Mm, I see! I suppose you freeze for long term. Freezer "bite" can destroy tissue samples. But wouldnt that be alleviated through vacuum sealing? Ooh, now I must do some more research, so curious!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks guys. I'm glad I thought to ask about this in advance. I've wanted to in the past, however it always seemed like an inappropriate time due to other parrot deaths on the forum. In the fridge is what I will use.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Thanks guys. I'm glad I thought to ask about this in advance. I've wanted to in the past, however it always seemed like an inappropriate time due to other parrot deaths on the forum. In the fridge is what I will use.
Yes, definitely ONLY the fridge ... if for some reason a fridge is not available to you, then you can put in an ice chest with ice pack to keep cool. If you have a long way to travel to take the body in then also put it into an ice chest so it stays at its best.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
They trained us at the bird rescue to wet the body down with cool water, wrap them in a paper towel, and put them in a ziplock bag before putting it in the fridge.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
They trained us at the bird rescue to wet the body down with cool water, wrap them in a paper towel, and put them in a ziplock bag before putting it in the fridge.
Yes, that too can be done and should be done that way, it helps keep the body hydrated from drying out too much. Normally, the quickest you can get the body in all the better but they do say within 24 hours after death being that a body starts decaying as soon as it dies. Sad but true.