• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's it like to own a German shepherd?

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
If you’re looking at getting one please please make sure the breeder you choose is very knowledgeable and has a very good reputation for healthy well bred dogs.
Right, although I'd probably check shelters near me first.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My Jenna was a well-bred, European dog that I rescued when her owner, a doctor, fractured her skull with a 2x4. She never learned to play with toys, as she'd never had any. At 4 years of age, she walked on grass (my back yard) for the first time. Despite all she'd been through, my youngest nephew learned to walk by holding on to her fur and her ears. She was kind, maternal, protective, intelligent, etc. It broke my heart when she died in my arms.

You have a lot of research to do. The European dogs are very different from the American lines. All are prone to hip dysplasia, as mentioned, so look for health-tested parents. That's no guarantee, but it reduces your risk. Penn Hip is more accurate than OFA, IMO. Shepherds can also suffer from Von Willebrand's disease, which is a form of hemophilia. My only complaint was the hair. I'd brush her with a Furminator, and have a dog's worth of hair in the yard; she still shed. I don't miss that. I've since rescued a dogo Argentino who sheds year-round. Her short, white hairs stick to everything. It's the cost of doing business.

Do lots of research and ask for references and proof of health testing if you're serious. A breeder's assurances aren't enough. Good luck.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Be careful of shelter GSDs.
I know adoption is good, but a badly bred/raised dog like a shepherd could turn you off of them for life.
Many are fearful, and reactive biters.
You need to know the bloodline turns out stable temperaments.

There's a joke in the GSD community. 'American lines are Golden Retrieves in shepherd suits'.

A good German line dog is a calm, stable, protective companion.
A German working line dog is often more than the normal family can handle.
A good German showline with a working ethic is IMO best.

Last edited:

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
My Jenna was a well-bred, European dog that I rescued when her owner, a doctor, fractured her skull with a 2x4. She never learned to play with toys, as she'd never had any. At 4 years of age, she walked on grass (my back yard) for the first time. Despite all she'd been through, my youngest nephew learned to walk by holding on to her fur and her ears. She was kind, maternal, protective, intelligent, etc. It broke my heart when she died in my arms.
Oh, that's so sad. I'm sorry. :(

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I know adoption is good, but a badly bred/raised dog like a shepherd could turn you off of them for life.

There's a joke in the GSD community. 'American lines are Golden Retrieves in shepherd suits'.

I appreciate this post. I volunteered for two years at a no-kill shelter. Shelter dogs are extra work. The adopt-don't-shop mantra is a nice idea, though the reality is that shelter dogs sometimes have a bucket load of trauma they are dealing with. This means that aren't actually ideal first dogs. Highly loyal breeds like chihuahuas and sheps struggle with rehoming. The bond they form with their person is unshakable, and when that bond is broken the dogs are a nervous mess... sometimes for years.

@Zonlover If you do want to adopt make sure you meet the dogs, fostering first is a wonderful idea like you mentioned. Also some shelters will not allow their dogs to go to homes with other pets. This is part of why I can't adopt an ex-racer greyhound.. I am excluded since I have other pets. In regards to what I said about shelter dogs, and their trauma, it is clearly not the case for all dogs. Some are well admired and mentally sound pets who are rehomed for un-dog reason, like someone got ill or passed away.. etc. I do support adoption when it is a good fit and safe situation, but adoption doesn't always fit every family, every dog, or every situation. Who knows maybe volunteering at a shelter will help you understand what I mean. You can get an idea of what brings these poor dogs to the shelter.. more times than not it is impulse buying, irrational expectations of what is means to have a dog or neglect.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Wow, thanks everyone for all the long posts! I was thinking that when my living situation is right, I will probably foster a GSD for a bit to get a feel for what it's like to live with one.
If you want a pony that barks.....:laughing6:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've had german shepherds all my life. At one point I had 4! I also volunteer for our local German Shepherd rescue. The best breed of dog ever in my humble opinion. Extremely loyal, super smart, and loving. My 2 are my shadows

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
I've had small, medium, and large dogs in the past, from cocker spaniels to great danes, and I will say that none has ever been as loyal as the German Shepherd. I used to walk an older GSD for a neighbor, and he was very protective over me but friendly with other people. Once, when I walked past a person in a bad part of town who didn't look too nice, the dog seemed to sense my concern and put himself between me and the man. He growled at him and totally freaked the poor guy out! It was especially odd because he had always been so sweet around other people. He was around seven or eight at the time that I walked him, and he watched me like a hawk.
One of my other neighbors has a younger female who was incredibly destructive at first, although they'd owned her since she was a puppy. It turned out that she had mental issues and once the vet put her on some medications, she calmed down a lot. On a few instances, she tried to grab people's hands and bite them when they walked by. She also completely destroyed her owner's kitchen!
But overall, the GSD is often a sweet, loving companion for anyone who wants a larger dog with both protective and gentle qualities. They can be on the noisy side and require a lot of exercise, so keep that in mind if you work away from home. The hair is also atrocious!

All of that aside, I wish you good luck in your search for a furry friend :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Ummmmm. I guess I should add that mine went through two 2 x 4's, a section of drywall, and was partway through a door in just a few hours....(a new neighbor moved in with a female dog in heat.)

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

German blood lines 100%. I've had rescues, rehomed GSD's and GSD's obtained from a reputable breeder. There's definitely a difference in their temperament.
With that being said, Rex, my rehomed/rescued GSD, was the most loyal, obedient and loving guy ever. He was as close to perfection as you can get. Was he german blood lines? Who knows. All I know is that he was over the top amazing. He'd gone through extensive high quality training after his last owner rescued him. Training is essential if you want a top notch companion dog.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I never really thought of myself as owning a purebred dog until I ended up raising then taking care of my father's GSD. (Dad was badly injured when Axel was just 9 weeks old and Axel turned out to have way too much energy for him after he recovered, so he has been at my house 5 days a week for a couple years now, he and my dog Zeus go to their home on Mom's weekends.)

I really can't understate: not only did my prior 3 dogs not prepare me for how intense he would be, raising Axel was like a 2nd job I had to pay to do until he was about a year old. He never stopped, I had to judge when he was over-tired and kennel him so he'd actually sleep. The landshark phase was unreal and pushed me to the edge of my patience. As he got more mature his impulse control improved and I got better about managing his energy but he's never had a lazy day in his life (He's hurt himself a couple of times running around on ice and keeping him calm to heal is rough. Rest? What is this ""rest"" you speak of?)
He can also be very bratty and willful. He doesn't like it when people/dogs break The Rules and I get chronic migraines and struggle to keep him engaged those days, not that he doesn't care I feel poorly but he's super bored and that frisbee isn't going to throw itself. And if he gets too bored he will antagonize people/dogs for drama (one reason why he's at my house 5 days a week.) When he's decided to cause problems for fun I can say "Game Over!" and he'll stop for long enough for me to muster the energy to do something more acceptable. It's not really a problem on days I feel well, we have a routine and my dog Zeus helps play off what energy is left. He's also parrot-like in that he needs enrichment, not just exercise. He wants to think and be challenged.

I adore him, he is so different to any dog I've ever had in just how much he engages with his environment and myself, wonderfully fun but you really do have to be ready to adapt.
He's a working line, west German show line cross from a good breeder (specifically trying to breed back more drive and soundness into their show dogs) but with that mix came a dog with more energy than inhibition so he can struggle to control himself when he wants something.

I always thought of them as stoic dogs but no, he's a massive dork. Playful and with a delightful sense of humor. Loving, brave, loyal, intelligent, interactive, creative, protective, gentile, playful, silly, willful, and a brat at times.
He really is special, honestly I'm going to be heartbroken when my mother retires and they want him back full-time (and they'd be taking my mutt Zeus too, they're buddies.)

(He can pretend to be calm and stoic though.)

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
+1 to what others have said about poorly bred dogs and/or lack of intense training and exercise. Seems like most of the folks responding positively to this thread have a lot of experience training and working dogs, and their GSDs reflect that.

Honestly, my experience has leaned much more toward the other end of the spectrum. I worked for a vet (in the city, so very, VERY few of our patients had acres to run on or jobs to do), and I'd say 95% of the GSDs I met were... the word we used was "squirrely". I don't think a single one was actually aggressive, but they tended to be nervous and reactive, and a frightened dog is liable to bite.

I'd say they tend toward the extremes. Either they're amazing or problematic. Few fall in-between to be just an "average pet dog," if that makes sense.

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I do agree with Tazlima.
There are too many backyard bred German Shepherds, and yes they are squirrely, reactive, and not pleasant to own.
You'd really have to do some research (or luck out) to find one with a stable temperament. They sadly are not a dime a dozen. :(