• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's it like to own a German shepherd?

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
So, recently I've kiiinnda fallen in love with GSDs. I was wondering if anyone who's owned/fostered one could share what they are like to own. Exercise? Grooming? Personality? Trainability? Around other pets?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My grandmother had very sweet German Shepherds when I was young. Be prepared for a lot of vacuuming! They have an undercoat that sheds and leaves tumbleweeds of fur behind, lol!

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
My roommate's german shepard was from a poorly researched breeder, so he's a bit weird. He is skittish of new people, especially men. The only people he lets near is family, and he even was scared of a few of the male members for quite some time. He doesn't jump on people at all, so he's pretty easily trained. They fall in love with their person, and some, like ours, can be dominant.
My roommate fostered another, female german shepard for a day or two. She was crazy energetic, and attached to her quickly so she tried to get inbetween her and her original dog.
I've never seen him around other pets. I assume he would chase a cat or any other animal, just based on personality and size, but he probably wouldn't hurt it. He is good with the dogs, and likes to stop them when they start running.
They are big. Big dogs. I prefer smaller dogs. He prefers his person and will follow her around and is generally more comfortable around her. He likes swimming. He sometimes sits and stares into the dinning room window, just to watch her. He is an outside dog.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've had, trained, and trialed GSDs for about 20 years.
The well bred ones are driven, loyal, intelligent, and bond deeply with their owners.
They do have a multitude of health issues that you need to research and become aware of.
IMO there is no breed that equals their devotion, and drive to work with their owner.
A bored GSD is a destructive GSD. An untrained one, can become hard to handle, even dangerous.
Ill bred ones can be a nightmare.

2 of my dogs, both passed. :(
12672107_10204547907657714_1915980828112155732_o.jpg
1456657_10200187440928771_1569988919_n.jpg

Last edited:

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
The well bred ones are driven, loyal, intelligent, and bond deeply with their owners.
They do have a multitude of health issues that you need to research and become aware of.
IMO there is no breed that equals their devotion, and drive to work with their owner.
A bored GSD is a destructive GSD. An untrained one, can become hard to handle, even dangerous.

View attachment 365456
View attachment 365455
They were beautiful dogs.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I loved mine.

Got him when he was just over 5 weeks old. He was a Christmas present. Brought him home with a baby blanket (still have that, somewhere). Mine was full blooded, great lineage.

He thought he was human. He loved 4 people, hated the rest of the world. My fault entirely, I didn't train him. Another reason? Kids broke his bedroom window (yeah, he had his own room) while I was at work and taunted him.....I caught them at it yet their parents denied it when I chased them home.

Super smart dog. The heart. The wisdom. The humor????

The stories I could tell.......

I'd take another puppy in a heart beat if I didn't have a bird.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am a new GSD owner since inheriting one 3 mos ago.

I met her back 3 years ago. She was friendly, always came by my room to see me when I stayed at her house.

Fast forward, she's with us, in a new State and with 4 other dogs. She is amazingly smart, very obedient and sweet. She can go off leash and her recall is perfect.

We've had her on a controlled portion feeding, she got pretty heavy living with her very ill previous master. She has bonded to my other half, she never allows him out of her sight. She's like a kid on xmas morning when he comes in the door.

So far she's a perfect gem! We get her groomed, she's used to regular grooming so that's a good thing. I have never had a dog larger then mid 40 lbs. So this horse is a challenge being a clean freak.

The only thing that makes me crazy is the shedding! Like omg, I sweep and damp mop my main floor areas 2x a day.

Other than that, I wished her owner would have survived and her life was with him. Her and her counter part a mix, are a sad reminder everyday that we have Brian's dogs.

:(
20201124_174333.jpg
20201130_222514.jpg
20201124_180101.jpg
She's lost weight, is very active and her ID tags have her and her former master on it. Our life's best Friend we all miss terribly.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you’re looking at getting one please please make sure the breeder you choose is very knowledgeable and has a very good reputation for healthy well bred dogs.
As mentioned already they’re often poorly bred and have terrible health issues.
My experience with one very poorly bred GS has honestly made them not a favourite dog for me. I was violently attacked by one when I was a very small child, it was not the dogs fault as it should have been put to sleep years earlier when the owners found out how poorly bred the thing was and learned of its behaviour issues- it would take seizures and attack unprompted and it would also go crazy, vicious and uncontrollable if there was any loud noises or fast movements. To this day I’ve not seen another dog so dangerous or scary- it was like something from a horror movie.
The very well bred ones can be overly sweet, well behaved and lovely as I reluctantly experienced years later with a friend who bred ostriches and also GSD’s- unfortunately for me though I have never fully gotten over being dragged around and badly torn up by a crazed dog that took five people to remove it from me so I don’t like them and avoid them at all costs.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard

View attachment 365456
View attachment 365455
What sport did you trial in? I have a gsd and had hoped to learn French Ring, we did learn a little bit, mainly the obedience aspects though, only a little bite work. I am finding it very hard to find people to train with in my area.

@Zonlover I absolutely love my German Shepherds! We have a 12 and a 2 year old. My young girl is nothing like our "old lady" even when our older girl was young. They have different personalities. Both very devoted to us but definitely need a "job" and to be kept busy and properly exercised both physically and mentally. Definitely have a good vacuum as the Shepherd tumble weeds will take over the house :laughin:
Very trainable and wanting to please. Other pets could be tricky. My older girl I trust with my birds out, with me in the room of course, never loose alone. My young girl is just so exuberant and excitable and playful I crate her when I let the birds have free time.

Attachments

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Like @Shezbug I was attacked by a German Shep as a child. My dog at the time, an Old English Sheep dog, forced herself between us and got him off me. Her name was Maggie. I am pretty sure she saved me from being very badly injured. I do no blame the German Shep. That poor dog was chained in the neighbors backyard. He was lonely and neglected, it was really just a sad situation. He had broken free from his chain this day.

I have had a range of dogs over my life. I love dogs of all sizes. Since many people with more experience with German Sheps have already given you notice about health risks and breeding practice, I won't repeat that. What I want to mention is related to breed pairing with lifestyle.

If you do get a working breed like a German Shep you must have hours daily to stimulate them and give them jobs to do. They will require this everyday, rain or shine. Shep are amazing dogs, when they get this structure. I suggest you get a dog that suits your lifestyle and the time that you can honestly give to the breed. Working dogs have been bred for that, work. My huskies, required lots of time on walks, runs and even with the bike. - and everyday... ! My hunting dog, a dachshund, required lots of rest, since sight hounds basically charge up their battery all day for the chase. After having a dog that enjoys sleeping.. I am not sure I would get a working dog again.

However, if you have the time and want the work! Go for it. I am only compelled to voice these concerns when I see dogs who don't get the exercise they need, don't get the love they require and end up being very scared and unhappy dogs. An unhappy dog is heartbreaking.

With your care, structure and dedication to their wellbeing your German Shep will be a fabulous companion and friend.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Had 2 german line grandvictor bloodlined GSD when I was a teen. They shed year round but regular brushing should help. Mom hated the hair all over.

They can get hip dysplasia & it can cripple them. Try to look out for that. There may be xrays that can see it early. Look at the bloodlines for health, temperament & obedience. The german champions will most likely have obedience training where they compete. I was training mine for that to a degree just training them basic commands.

They are loyal dogs that will give there life for you. Mine was very protective over me even from harm from family members. My brother raised a stick to me & I yelled & the dog grabbed his arm. I was the only one even at 100 pounds who could fully control her 75 ish 80 lbs which was not good if my dad walked her as she did tend to try to protect & lunge at strangers. She would pull him a but but all I had to do was command & she would be ok.
She was well bred her father a grand victor champion on dog magazine cover. They are just very protective of the home & there loved ones.

I love GSD but don;t think I would have another just as I live in an apartment & the shedding. Its a 10 plus year commitment. They should have lots of exercise & training as mental stimulation is good for them.

I wanted to show them when I was a teen. I did take her into an show once. She won 3rd prize.
That was what I wanted to do when I was a teen. When I went away to college she was at home with my parents. She was the family dog.

Once some policeman walked into our yard ignoring beware of dog signs as they saw a ladder up on the back of the house. The dog jumped up at them & they shot her catching her foot. They had to amputate a toe but she survived.

If you want protection & a big shedding loyal dog then they really can't be beat.

This dog was in the bloodline

Can't remember Ambers fathers name. Grand Victor late 70's

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
What sport did you trial in? I have a gsd and had hoped to learn French Ring, we did learn a little bit, mainly the obedience aspects though, only a little bite work. I am finding it very hard to find people to train with in my area.
I did Schutzhund.
27783_1205993410019_7586561_n.jpg 10636131_10201923729254894_2929170638380921445_n.jpg 27783_1205980009684_6642874_n.jpg

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Amber had american bloodlines with german in the history. I also had Jim who came from strong german bloodlines & he was more reddish tan.

Think this was Ambers father. So long ago I cant be certain but I know he did hold a strong title

I was so into it then. Never did formal Schutzhund but I did do alot of training. Even taught commands in german.

It was cool. I'd sit her down to stay & then go put a ball somewhere down the block then return to her & tell her to go get it & she would obey go get it & bring it back.

I just enjoyed training her. Then she became just a family dog but training helps with obedience & they like to go things for praise & or a treat. Much different than a bird.

I'm getting tired half day one with birds is draining. I feel like a nap. I'm not up to getting a working dog as some have said you need to live that part daily. I'm in the lap dog speed now if I ever was to get a dog again & I don;t think I would. Just the thought of walking 3 times a day is too much for me.

So long ago I don't even have a photo of them to scan. Just lost years of my young life

Last edited:

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I know several that come to the dog daycare where I work. Of the 10 or so that I know best, there's enormous size variation, from a very petite female who's maybe 40 pounds and whose shoulder comes to just above my knee, up to a gigantic and frankly very overweight male who weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 130 pounds and is about waist-high. I don't know any calm or non-neurotic GSDs, but keep in mind the environment where I meet them selects for specific needs- people whose dogs happily sleep all day don’t typically seek out daycare.

The shepherds I know are always watching and always ready to intervene. Well-raised and stable ones intervene by coming to get me and have me deal with the problem. Less polite ones will just dive in and handle it themselves, or try to. This is a pretty typical thing with herding breeds and can be a dividing line on whether or not someone gets along with a particular breed. Some people are charmed by a dog that thinks for itself and some people don’t like to be bossed around by a willful pet.
My experience has been that daycare isn't a great fit for most shepherds because they need more structured tasks than I can provide in this setting and they’ll eventually start amusing themselves by digging, barking, etc. Someone else addressed that point while I was typing this and it’s a good point- please don’t overlook the commitment of time, exercise, and structure they need.

They do attach to their people very strongly. They love their families tremendously, but the ones that spend a lot of time in daycare or boarding will pick a Designated Human from among the staff. That petite female I mentioned can jump all of our interior fences (6 feet) and will do so to get to our office manager, who she adores. We also have a shepherd/malinois mix named Trouble who is the most approval-seeking animal I've ever met, but easily bored. She amuses herself by harassing other dogs so I spend a lot of time "managing" her so she is doing pointless tasks to earn praise instead. Like most dogs they take their cues from the person they’re with- if you’re calm and confident vs nervous and jumpy, you’ll really see it reflected in how the dog behaves around you. And if you don’t set boundaries they can trample you. We have another shepherd whose owner didn’t work on walking nicely on leash when her puppy was small. Now that she’s grown, she pulls that woman around like a kite on a string. Apparently she also steals food off the kitchen table and does other naughty things because she’s never had anything resembling a boundary set for her.

Grooming varies tremendously as well. There are several distinct coat types and I'm told climate will impact it as well. Here in Texas they don't grow as heavy an undercoat, but it's still significant. When I blow-dry a shepherd I feel like I'm in a snow globe as all the loose hair comes out and blows around. There's also a long-haired variety which is less common. The only long haired one I see regularly also has a lot of joint problems (unrelated to his coat)- he needed hip surgery before his 1st birthday and gets a mandatory "naptime" every hour or so because he will continue running and playing even as his limp gets visibly worse. He has to be kept super thin to keep stress off his hips and knees, and I think a lot of shepherds would benefit from being on the trim side for this reason. That’s a big part of why people keep emphasizing finding a good breeder in this thread- SO many shepherds have bad hips in the US. It’s not uncommon to see pups marketed as having European bloodlines because they’re supposed to be better in many ways. *again someone addressed this while I was typing. Maybe... maybe my post should be shorter? :unsure1:

Anyway, I love the look and really enjoy the ones I get to hang out with at work but they’re just not a good fit for my life or what I’d like in a dog. It’s definitely worth significant thought before getting one. Good on you for researching!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
When my two passed, my house was so empty. My day long hikes were fun no longer.
They kept me young and fit. They accompanied me everywhere.
I really should get another......

It's hard to go GSDless.