• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's it like living with a flying macaw?

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
feeling very nervous now, but if I get a new banner how bad could it be right? :sour::peek1:
Ikr? Mods are gonna have to be careful; people gon start being offensive in order to get banners. XD Now that I've said that it probably won't work anymore... :shrug: Sorry or you're welcome, Faislaq? :D

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
But in all seriousness if the lol sign was interpreted as making fun of @Macawnutz that wasn't what I was trying to do, I was kinda making fun of my self for maybe acting too "sensitively"

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
But in all seriousness if the lol sign was interpreted as making fun of Macawnutz that wasn't what I was trying to do, I was kinda making fun of my self for maybe acting too "sensitively"
Shhh! Quit while you’re ahead lmao.
It’s really not in anyone’s best interest to point out others are older than you even if done politely- there’s been a bit of this from younger members lately. We all know people older than us but it is just one of them things we don’t make a deal about, kinda in the same category as someone else’s weight, skills, looks etc. We treat people with respect and as they treat us regardless of their or our age.... age isn’t everything.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I am not overly sensitive and it takes a great deal to peeve me off. :p I live with 7 flying toddlers so I laugh and shake my head long before becoming upset.
I'm old enough to call myself old but not old enough for someone else to call me old. :cautious: :laugh:

I live with 8 flighted parrots. 7 of them can fly but only 4 1/2 of them do.
Cha my female hy can not fly. Sakie my military used to fly but since cataracts have taken over she does not fly ( it doesn't stop her from being spiderman or somehow teleporting to places she shouldn't be... also doesn't stop her from leap flying onto my body when I peeve her off but not flying ). Kailua would be an amazing flyer but she really has no trust in doing so. She has been home in the big house for about a year and with so much room I still see promise that she could start. I could push her but she would not fancy that. Tiko my male hy flies but only when frightened OR if he wants something really bad. It really never ends the best and most times you find him hanging from a curtain or chandelier.

Which brings us to the boys.... Korbel, Maui, Sam and Binky. They are proficient flyers. There are days when I think Korbel is in the air more than standing on a perch. They really don't secretly fly anywhere as it's hard to miss the 747 sound travelling through the house. Without looking I can usually tell who is flying just by listening to the flight. Maui sounds struggled, double the flaps of Korbel. Sam sounds and lands heavy. Always way to fast for the distance he is going. Binky... well an amazon just sounds small and than Korbel. Ugh, there is my get into everything guy. Without Korbel life would be easier but as I tell my husband ( every time he is caught destroying something ) he brings me joy!

Yes, they land on my shoulder when walking through. If you don't want that to happen you duck every time they do and it will stop. Yes they can steal things you leave out on a table. Korbel is the only one that consistently does this here but he does it enough to feel like they all do it. No, they do not poop everywhere. If you spend enough time with macaws you know when they have to poop. I've always put them on their stands when they have to go and now when they have to go they fly to their stands. Really it's al about staying a step ahead on the birds that are REALLY flighted. My opinion on that is how they were raised. Do they think first fly second or fly first think second. Korbel is the only one here that flies before thinking. ( startled flights don't count in this ) Everyone else here was clipped long enough in their life to force that think first mentality.

I think Shez has that with Burt although he is pretty level headed compared to Korbel. It helps her that she has only one bird where I deal with a flock dynamic. All my birds are out all day. I work out in the shop and watch them on camera. When a camera goes down it's bad.... That means Korbel doesn't want me to see what he is about to do. :hilarious:

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
All of my other parrots are flighted. I am building muscle for my 24 year old GWM to begin flight. I am convinced he was flighted at some point as I did get him to leap to me which was interesting. He enjoys us running through the house yelling "WEEEEEEEEEE" as he flaps his wings. I hope I can get him to fly within a year.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What a zoo @Macawnutz , what a zoo. You forgot to tell that Korbel is the light of your life and fairly spoiled - he can do no wrong. Is it even safe walking through your house or are you likely to be beaned by a B-52 (macaw) or a fighter jet (Binky)?

Kitty's next step is to start to fly a little. She has mastered the getting her harness on, sitting on the outdoor perch and walking on the ground (very traumatic), next are short flights. The flying will be good for her atherosclerosis and her pulmonary hypersensitive syndrome and her general outlook on life. She has come a million miles since I got her on Dec. 4th 2020.

IMG_6738 (2).JPG IMG_6741.JPG IMG_6743.JPG

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
4 1/2 ........ :rofl: :hehe:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Greylady1966 "Kitty looks so happy outside. I bet some sunshine felt good on her."

I don't think she has been outside for the last 20 years - although she had a great setup at her former home. The owners had twelve birds and traveled a lot and there just wasn't the opportunity to take all twelve of their birds outside.

She was pretty apprehensive the first and second time she was outside in the cage, but by the time she went on the perch she was OK, not great, but OK. I'm positive she had never been on the bare ground before and that unsettled her quite a lot, but eve with that she finaly started walking around and testing stuff with her beak.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I work out in the shop and watch them on camera. When a camera goes down it's bad.... That means Korbel doesn't want me to see what he is about to do.
hahahahahah What a little trouble maker. :heart: The Nutz flock resident bad boy.:cool2: :xflove: :rofl:

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
It's great as it helps with many stereotypy and or displacement or undesirable behaviors. I have 2 fully flighted macaws and it keeps them very healthy and balanced.
They don't fly much on their own as they are busy on one of the foraging stations, trying to sucker themselves to me, or are asleep but they love to do flight/general training and so they get plenty of fly time.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The opposite of this happened today...

... Oscar makes that flight many times per day, but today... he flew down (yay!).

He flew up and then back to me (also yay!), where I was sitting in a t-shirt without a hoodie, because it's getting warmer out.

He landed on my shoulder, with nails that are a little too long at the moment.

People worry about macaw beaks.

Let me tell you a story about their nails. :)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tiko my male hy flies but only when frightened OR if he wants something really bad. It really never ends the best and most times you find him hanging from a curtain or chandelier.
The visual image this evokes is fantastic! :laughin: