• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's in a name?

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
I thought that it might be both interesting and fun to chat about our birds' names and the reasons behind them, 'cause I've seen a lot of cool names around :D

For example, our budgie is named Quill because it's a part of a feather and birds sure do have a lot of feathers, and I named my conure Lawrence because I had the name in my head thanks to a video game-- both names were very spur of the moment decisions, so they aren't much of an interesting start I guess :laugh:

So, what's in your birdie/s' name/s?

Last edited:

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Our new baby Moustache Parrot is named "Baby Beaks". Named by our 7 year-old. Not inventive, but self explanatory.:hehe:

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Aw, that's adorable!
Moustache parrots are very pretty birds :D

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Leto came with his name. I have no idea where it came from. He says it every morning when he wakes up and when he's excited when you come home too :xflove:

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Leto's a cool name nonetheless-- if I'm remembering right, there's a figure in greek mythology called the same-- and it's cute that he's so eager to share it! :D

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My gray cockatiel is called Twilight and my cinnamon cockatiel is named Sunset. We also used to have a pied named Sunshine. My kids picked theses names just because they liked them. They definitely had a theme going! Our other cockatiel, Niko, had her name when we got her. We thought about changing it, but decided against it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sunny came to us named Sunny. And he definitely knows his name so theirs no way we could change it. Plus, Sunny actually suits him really well.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Our birds have several "themes" going regarding their names. Milton came to us with his name, and we figure he was named after the TV personality of yesteryear, Milton Berle.
Titan was named when I named my birds after hockey equipment companies. We had Koho, Sherwood, Titan, and Mylec at one time or another.
Igor Tiel received his name because he came to us around Halloween, and a monster named "Igor" is mentioned in the song, "Monster Mash". I thought the name sounded cool, so that was that.
Mocha is a Cinnamon tiel, and he had a funky name (which I don't remember) when we adopted him from the rescue. We thought that Mocha was a nicer name for him.
Sunshine got his name because he's the very first lutino tiel we've ever had, and I like the name. It fits him perfectly. :marlenesmile:

Marley was named in honor a roadie's tiel who passed away shortly before Marley came to live with us. Nimbus was named when I started a "cloud/sky" theme. Our EB was named Sky, and Nimbus followed.

Our newest addition- Omega- is named after the last letter in the Greek alphabet. He will be the last bird we bring into our family and flock...

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I had a lovebird named Beakers because her beak was bigger than my cockatiel's. Zane my M2 came with his name but it suits him so well. Whenever he does something silly i'm like "oh Zaners" :giggle: :m2:

sierraecho89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
All of our birds have extensive, themed names.. xD

Winston George Wellesley = British History Theme (Winston Churchill, David Lloyd George, and The Duke of Wellington)
Luigi Scout Turkleton = Fictional Characters Theme (Super Mario, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Scrubs)
Odysseus Ozymendias Oedipus = Literary Names--three O's in a row = Ozone!
Roosevelt Polk Kennedy = American Presidents
Lili'uokalani Marie Finnbogadóttir = Female Monarchs (Last Monarch of Hawaii, Marie Antoinette, and Europe's first female President)
Phineas Beaudesert Jarrow = Peanutbutter and Jelly Theme (PBJ)
Quentin Cortez Tipton = Hubby wanted a bird nick-named Qtip, and Cortez was his original name.
Lola Carmen Tebaldi = Opera-themed. :D
Viola Valkyrie Waddlesworth = Another Literary one (Viola = from Twelfth Night, Valkyrie = Mythological creature, and "Waddles" was her original name)

...Lord help us if we ever have kids.

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Odin the teil=I am Wiccan and wanted a Gods' name
Peakaboo the Too=Came to us with that name, he often is called Boodle or Noodle
Leif Erickson the Conure= came to us with the name Cinnamon, he needed a fresh start. Leif was a great explorer, and he lives up to that name
Snow and Ice the blue and white budgies=Snow came first, he is mostly white so I liked Snow, Ice is mostly blue with white, so he is Ice
Winter the blue and yellow budgie=she just got rehomed with us, and it floored me that her name was WINTER, went with the theme of the other two budgies...

and for us too, I hope that is the end of the flock, but I wouldn't turn any fid away if I could manage to rescue.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
All of our birds have extensive, themed names.. xD

Winston George Wellesley = British History Theme (Winston Churchill, David Lloyd George, and The Duke of Wellington)
Luigi Scout Turkleton = Fictional Characters Theme (Super Mario, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Scrubs)
Odysseus Ozymendias Oedipus = Literary Names--three O's in a row = Ozone!
Roosevelt Polk Kennedy = American Presidents
Lili'uokalani Marie Finnbogadóttir = Female Monarchs (Last Monarch of Hawaii, Marie Antoinette, and Europe's first female President)
Phineas Beaudesert Jarrow = Peanutbutter and Jelly Theme (PBJ)
Quentin Cortez Tipton = Hubby wanted a bird nick-named Qtip, and Cortez was his original name.
Lola Carmen Tebaldi = Opera-themed. :D
Viola Valkyrie Waddlesworth = Another Literary one (Viola = from Twelfth Night, Valkyrie = Mythological creature, and "Waddles" was her original name)

...Lord help us if we ever have kids.
I absolutely love the thought and originality you guys give to your birds...:)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
My animals names mostly have always come from strong character names right now they are based on Games of Thrones because Im totally in love with the books ...So we have Nymeria , Rheagar they are my dogs and Tyrion my Grey ...Lagatha my Amazon is from Vikings I know its spelled wrong ...my cats normally all start with the same letter and always have this time its S...Slevin, Sketch and Shylo ...Im a lil wackie with names as my family keeps reminding me :fairy2: