• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's going on with the feathers?

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
So I have no experience with AG's, but yesterday, on behalf of my local bird club, I picked up a surrendered TAG from his elderly owners. He is 28, and was on a seed diet, so I have slowly started to introduce him to chop and no-sugar pellets. He belonged to the gentleman's first wife, who died 11 years ago, and he has not been handled much since then. His owner said he has to wear gloves and usually towel him to move him (he has only been to the vet once for a beak trim), though he does go in and out of his cage as he pleases in their bird room. I was told he "doesn't like toys", so I am also starting to work with him on that, but I know that everything is going to be really scary and strange for a while. (Others in my bird club have told me to "make" him step up, and get used to being bitten, but instinct tells me this is not a good idea. He has lunged at my fingers and grazed them already.) I could go on, but my main question here is about his tail feathers. They have kind of a scalloped appearance to them. Is this normal? Were they clipped this way? Or is he barbering? Any tips or thoughts you could share would be much appreciated!
IMG_0273.jpeg IMG_0273.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
After doing some googling of African grey rear ends, it seems that those are natural feather shapes :) I am not sure what the purpose is specifically. Quakers, for example, have little nubs on some of their flight feathers that allow them to hover and fly backwards slightly. So there is likely some sort of specialization with this shape as well.

CAG.jpg

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
My CAG was 21 when I got him, abused, underfed and cage bound. It takes patience. He had a water bottle instead of a bowl, that was the first to go. I warmed up frozen veggies, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, peas, sweet potatoes. When his mouth was full I would change his bowls. I taught him to scoot over so I can get his water bowl. Remember his cage is his home and I still have to be careful. It takes time. Its an experiment, fresh, sliced, cubed, rice. The ideas are endless. Patience, talk to him, I count to three so he knows, 1,2,3 when I close his door, the same at night night, turn off the lights. He was hand fed, so I can hand feed his veggies, sometimes I wish he would eat out of the bowl but I think he is afraid of it. He will step when he wants to, terrified of new toys. Routine, routine and more routine and patience. Tell him what you are doing. I mean everything. He is now 24, we still have set backs. He bit me many times at first, I tell him no firmly or make an ack ack sound. They are very emotional, speak softly, greet him, each morning, tell him its breakfast time, supper time, night night. Diet is a variety fresh seeds, (pumpkin) treats, I have him on Higgins California Blend. He likes the small white seeds, some pellets. Watch and see what he picks out, that's how I figured out he is a sucker for pumpkin seeds. Won't touch almonds, red peppers, dried fruit. Some days he like grapes tomorrow he will throw one at me, sliced banana, apple watch the fruit, gives them the poops and high in sugar. Enjoy him!

The feathers look fine to me, I'm no expert or vet.

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
After doing some googling of African grey rear ends, it seems that those are natural feather shapes :) I am not sure what the purpose is specifically. Quakers, for example, have little nubs on some of their flight feathers that allow them to hover and fly backwards slightly. So there is likely some sort of specialization with this shape as well.

View attachment 410428
Thank you! I was trying to look through the googled images, but I did not find this one - it's perfect!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you! I was trying to look through the googled images, but I did not find this one - it's perfect!
Yeah this was the closest I could find! Odd no one wants to look at parrot butts with us :lol:

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
My CAG was 21 when I got him, abused, underfed and cage bound. It takes patience. He had a water bottle instead of a bowl, that was the first to go. I warmed up frozen veggies, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, peas, sweet potatoes. When his mouth was full I would change his bowls. I taught him to scoot over so I can get his water bowl. Remember his cage is his home and I still have to be careful. It takes time. Its an experiment, fresh, sliced, cubed, rice. The ideas are endless. Patience, talk to him, I count to three so he knows, 1,2,3 when I close his door, the same at night night, turn off the lights. He was hand fed, so I can hand feed his veggies, sometimes I wish he would eat out of the bowl but I think he is afraid of it. He will step when he wants to, terrified of new toys. Routine, routine and more routine and patience. Tell him what you are doing. I mean everything. He is now 24, we still have set backs. He bit me many times at first, I tell him no firmly or make an ack ack sound. They are very emotional, speak softly, greet him, each morning, tell him its breakfast time, supper time, night night. Diet is a variety fresh seeds, (pumpkin) treats, I have him on Higgins California Blend. He likes the small white seeds, some pellets. Watch and see what he picks out, that's how I figured out he is a sucker for pumpkin seeds. Won't touch almonds, red peppers, dried fruit. Some days he like grapes tomorrow he will throw one at me, sliced banana, apple watch the fruit, gives them the poops and high in sugar. Enjoy him!

The feathers look fine to me, I'm no expert or vet.
Thank you! He is a very handsome bird, and I think his owners did the best for him with the information that was available about keeping parrots so many years ago. And I have been talk, talk, talking to him. ;) I have him (for now) in my main living space, but we go up to bed a few hours before it's really night time. As I was finishing things up for the night, I started turning off some of the lights, the tv, the other devices, picking things up, all the while saying, we are getting ready for bed time Grady! Here is a good night snack Grady! (piece of walnut) Okay, Grady, I am letting the dogs in, Grady. Now it's bed time, good night Grady! And he was quiet all night (though I know it's just the first night -- but fingers crossed!).