• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's everyone's favorite fresh foods they feed everyday?

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
just wanted to look at what you guys all feed for fresh food daily, I'm always looking for new things to try.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sweet potatoes (cooked only), pumpkin (raw or cooked), capsicum or chilli (raw), peas (raw or cooked). These are foods that I may offer all of, or some of daily, my bird loves them.
Other foods (many different types) are also offered over the day but everyday he gets some or all of the above veg, pellets, nuts and pellet mash- fruit is only ever a treat and not offered daily. Chickpeas (cooked) are offered a lot because Burt loves them.

Over a week I try to give as many different veggies as possible and also a good mix up of grains, sprouts, legumes.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Sweet potatoes (cooked only), pumpkin (raw or cooked), capsicum or chilli (raw), peas (raw or cooked). These are foods that I may offer all of, or some of daily, my bird loves them.
Other foods (many different types) are also offered over the day but everyday he gets some or all of the above veg, pellets, nuts and pellet mash- fruit is only ever a treat and not offered daily. Chickpeas (cooked) are offered a lot because Burt loves them.

Over a week I try to give as many different veggies as possible and also a good mix up of grains, sprouts, legumes.
same here!!!

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Sweet potato or winter squash (butternut, buttercup or kabocha) steamed or baked. Then any of the following (some of which I grow for them).

blueberries, grapes, banana, apple, pomegranate pips, guava, cherries (frozen)

Corn on the cob, carrots (cooked and raw), peas (snow, snap, green), broccoli, bell peppers, fresh ginger and turmeric, collard, cabbage, kale, purple broccoli, cauliflower leaves, arugula, rapini. Plus there is a spring salad mix I get once and awhile that I raid for the birds which is how I learned they love radicchio. Oh and brussel sprouts!

Cooked lentils, rice (could be red cargo, black sticky or multigrain blend), chickpeas, pasta. Almonds, walnuts and pistachios.

CrazyKozmo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Carrots!! Sweet peppers, kale & snap peas (when I have them), slice of apple, pomegranate arils (frozen), berries: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cherries (usually frozen, though fresh this time of year). Also, Birdie Bistro cooked grain mix with veggie based baby food.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The only thing that's almost always in my chop is a frozen veggie mix. I alternate between peas/carrots/corn and broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mixes.

From there I usually add cooked quinoa. Everything else depends on what is on sale and looks good.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Broccoli is great, but Sunni probably eats an unhealthy amount of peas lol. It's to the point that he prefers it over millet!

The_Mayor

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
What others have listed, barring the fruit (for someone who personally loves fruit I have a pair of committed non-fruititarians).

My guys especially love chard. Rainbow is my favorite for them, but they like it all. Bok choi is a current favorite. Pretty much any greens they'll at least try.

Their favorite veggie is definitely carrots. They're only little, so I usually only give them 2-3 baby carrots, and really it's only that many to account for what they drop, cut up in various shapes. When I clean up at night, there are little carrot fragments all over the place.

Gigibirds

I feed my birds more than this, and they don't get all of these every day, but here's what they will actually eat:
1. Berries (blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc. It's only a treat though so don't worry :) (#1 favourite)
2. Rainbow chard
3. Spinach
4. Redleaf lettuce
5. Thickish strips of carrot that have been pushed through the cage bars (they won't touch them in a dish) (#2 favourite)

And that's pretty much it for what they'll eat.....although we're close with sprouts and peas - they nearly eat them! And I do hide a few oats in the fresh food so they are at least forced to touch it no matter what.

CrazyKozmo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I forgot to mention that they get fresh sprouted seeds for breakfast every day (for the last 5 years so far....). I get my sprout supplies from sproutpeople.com

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Grain mix. It’s an organic cereal/seed grain mix that I make into a hot oatmeal like mash each morning for breakfast. (Granivores here!) And we also do cucumber bits, colored mini peppers, micro greens, and a touch of broccoli on the side of the mash so he can shove it out of his bowl and onto the floor to feed the dogs.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those of you who feed sweet potato—how do you cook them, and then do you just cut them up, mash them, how do you offer them to your bird?