• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's a good soap ratio for washing?

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
What is the best ratio of soap to water for washing bowls and toys? Also what is the best kind of soap to use. The soap I have often leaves a smell so I have to wash it even more to get the smell completely gone. If anyone would like to share their washing secrets that would be great! :laughing2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I wash (dishwasher or hand wash) then hot water rinse all of Burt’s food and water dishes so the soap doesn’t matter but I do use low scented everything- I hate the “pretty” chemical smells and always have done.
Anything I wash for the birds gets a good rinse to remove any residue so again the soap is not a problem.

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
I just use hot water and if its really not coming off you can put it in the dishwasher without soap and just water. Hope this helps!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use just a bit of Seventh Generation dish soap and the hottest water I can stand to wash food and water dishes, perches, and cage.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just squirt a bit into the sink and wash like any other dish :) or send through the dishwasher

I use Dawn

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I figure that they use original Dawn liquid on birds that need cleaned up from oil spills, so it would be safe enough for me to use on dishes.
Although with some dishes if I feel there is still some residue, a rinse with vinegar safely removes soap residue.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I hand-wash bowls daily with the hottest water I can stand and a glop of original blue Dawn (I always use too much soap, but I like my washing to be very bubbly) and let air dry. I will put bowls through the dishwasher if I have space - throwing in as many as I can fit just for an extra clean.

As long as you're not using toxic cleaners like CLR or something, you'll probably be okay with whatever dish soap you use.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Use as much soap as you would your own dishes and rinse with hot water from your tap (faucet). Recommended dish soap is plain old Dawn (Fairy in the UK) and some good old elbow grease.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I recently switched to Fairy Pure & Clean and I have been loving it over the past few months. Fragrance free :)
Maybe the US has a similar thing?

Fairy.jpg ¨ 0% Perfumes 0% Dyes. Efficient cleaning, cleans greasy leftover food completely. Gentle on your skin, no need to wear rubber gloves. The formula is dermatologically approved by Skin Health Alliance. ¨

I also use this, 1 teaspoon into a spray bottle of water to do spot cleaning after the birds and around the house as a general cleaner.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's why I use the Seventh Generation soap. Gentle, plant-based, fragrance free.....