• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's a good sleeping spot?

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
I've been reading that those sleeping huts you see everywhere aren't any good at all for conures because they can chew on the fabric. But as far as I know they naturally sleep in closed spaces, right? However I also read that closed spaces like huts/coconuts can trigger hormonal/nesting behaviour. What would be a good place to give them as a sleeping spot? Or do they sleep just fine on a perch?

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Our baby conure (15 weeks sleeps just fine on a platform perch (I think he would also do fine on a regular perch but we have to order some smaller ones since he inherited the perches from an African gray.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Perches will be fine.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Two of my previous Conures slept on a platform perch and my other had her favorite manzanita perch that she slept on almost all 11 years I had her that was the highest perch in her cage.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is true that green cheeks in the wild tend to sleep in tree cavities, but in captivity it can cause hormonal issues. Perches are just fine. My green cheek slept on a platform perch and cuddled with a toy :)

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
I have a Conure.. he usually sleeps on his swing or a platform perch in the back corner of the cage... he doesn’t even sit on the platform he kind of hangs from the edge of it -silly bird. He has plenty of perches to choose from though! I’ve never given him a hut and he’s fine. I recently got him this to play in Tiki Nook Bamboo Swing ~ Seriously Nutz ~ Small Natural Swings for Small Parrots

But hes never slept in it.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine sleep on platform perches,normal perches,beak stone (KiKi) and cage bars.